Autistic Expressionism As A Art Genre?

Hello,

not sure if this question has been asked before but here goes. I wonder if our view of the world could be considered as a art form? I am thinking of painting and film making and writing to reflect our joint experiences. There is so much talent out there considering the latest edition of The Spectrum and I would love to see more Autism art work exhibited and also more films on and made by people on the spectrum. I find it so much easier to express myself by writing and so complete all the logs for my local cycling club which makes the locals laugh so must be doing something right. Does anyone else find this easy than talking?

I would like to see more focus in the newspaper reviews on Autistic artists and more attention paid to films made by Autistic directors and film makers. What do you think?

Nick

• Hello, Yes, I agree with your thoughts on David Lynch films. I do like the idea of walking a route and seeing it from another persons prespective, something we need more of. Thank you for the article.

• Hello,

sorry I am dyslexic which can make expressing myself hard at times. I was talking about art in general by people on the spectrum. I agree, we need to hear more from the high functioning end of the spectrum.

• I adore Trout Mask Replica. Have done since I first heard it on a John Peel show, what seems like a long time ago (probably because it is.)

One of the pleasures of my youth was to closely scrutinise album covers in the local record store. I chanced upon one record by the producer of Trout Mask Replica. On reading the information on the inside cover, I came across the words ‘a movie for your ears’. My heart jumped with joy at the apparent revelation that I was not alone in being able to see music. I immediately bought the record. Hot Rats has been a lifelong favourite ever since. You may enjoy this article about Don Van Vliet and Frank Zappa: https://www.criticsatlarge.ca/2017/11/frank-zappa-captain-beefheart.html

David Lynch’ films seem to offer an autistic vision of life. Or am I mistaking adman cool for authenticity?

I can remember reading a review of an art work, called something like ‘In Another’s Shoes’. Unfortunately the correct name of the work and the artist escapes me. Visitors were given a set of headphones and instructions to walk a certain route. Whilst walking, the headphones informed the visitor how the route was perceived by another person. This technique may be a way for others to explore the autistic experience.

• I had no idea about those two of my music heroes; although it is sort of fairly obvious.I have just been rereading (second time) a Don Van Vliet biography. I found numerous comments (this time) that also made things fairly obvious with him; but I guess the author decided it was up to Don to say it for himself. He probably never got around to it because he found his abstract expressionist paintings a better way to just get on with his life. (He had always had quite a few things to say about whether labelling was such a great idea. But, Messrs Byrne and Fripp both seem to me to be fairly well-fulfilled folks.

With the FS post below, I'd say that we also need  depictions of classic autism. And in both cases, who better to do that depiction, than those with the necessary experience .... and talent.

• Are you talking about art work specifically portraying autism, or art work in general by people with autism?

I think there's a need for the depiction of 'high-functioning' stories

I also find it easier communicating my difficulties through other forms than talking

• I think you are right about autism and creativity. The common perception of autistic people as computer geeks, ignores the fact that innovation and creativity in computing has been a driving force in advances in the field and is paramount in solving problems.

The world of video games is surely a creative industry. Here is an interview with Satoshi Tajiri who created Pokemon: https://the-art-of-autism.com/how-satoshi-tajiris-autism-helped-create-pokemon/

In the field of music, both David Byrne and Robert Fripp have Aspergers. After reading a couple of biographies of Beethoven, I am convinced he was autistic. With the passing of history it is easy to forget how innovative, as well as creative, he was.