ASD assessment as an Adult (how to ask for parental involvement?)

Hi, so I am currently considering requesting an ASD assessment from my CMHT as this is something that has been on my mind since I was 12 when I learned what Autism was. I am 20 now and I feel like I want to pursue this however I understand that someone will need to give a full developmental history and I don't know how to bring this up to my Mum. I brought up my worries when I was 14 and my Mum very much disagreed stating I was saying it for attention and wanted to copy friends. I am worried she will still believe this and that it'll effect our relationship. I am just looking for some advice on how to address the situation if anyone has similar experiences.

Thanks

Parents
  • When I told my mother that I believed myself to be autistic and that my GP agreed and had referred me on... she let out a short burst of cruel laughter and informed me in no uncertain terms that I was wrong. Needless to say, I didn’t take her to my assessment. Also needless to say, she’s the one who has been proved wrong. 

• my mum had a similar reaction. I didn't argue with her,  Mums are programmed to only see the best in you and to survive.  I don't know your mothers upbringing.  She simply may not really understand all the symptoms of the spectrum. I believe my mum couldn't see my autism because i was so like her and she only experienced non-verbal autism. I believe her to be on the spectrum and to not know it. So tread carefully. Yes go see if u have autism but dont use it as a "I told you so". 

Laughter is sometimes a nervous response inwardly and not at you. I told my assessors up front there is no way my mum would say a bad word about me so they assessed me without her. 

Wishing you all the best and your mum all the best.

Let us know what happens.

• I wouldn’t use it as a “I told you so”. I understand my Mum sees me much like herself. But now (hopefully) with my experience in working with autistic young people she will understand that I am knowledgeable enough to make the decision to be assessed. 

• ah ok just let her be then. 

and maybe

do anti Anxiety things together eg Yoga or Meditation or share self hypnosis mp3.

maybe

start a garden together or go to painting classes together

just a thought

• Yes, but she’d never admit that. To her it’s all seen as anxiety. She just sees diagnosis as labels and not as anything remotely positive.

• good,  do u think she is on the spectrum ?

Reply Children