Housing problem

My 31 year old daughter has been living independently, with some help from us, for a few years in a council flat. Unfortunately a few months ago a very noisy family has moved in upstairs and she's not coping well at all. I'm worried for her mental and physical health. Not sleeping, stomach issues with the stress and unfortunately alcohol binges when the stress gets too much. We've been in touch with council and she was told 'to respect their way of life' and obviously they don't realise the affect of noise on her. They said that the only way to move is to swap but there doesn't seem too much interest in the area she lives (It's not a nice part of the city and I'm constantly worried for her safety being a vulnerable adult, but thats another story!)

Someone has suggested getting her a social worker to help? Is this a thing for an adult with Aspergers? How do we get one? I've made an appointment with her GP, will he refer her do you think? I feel,after all these years, we could really do with some help from someone, it's also taking it's toll on our health too with the worry of it all now and in the future.

Parents
  • Hi

Did you get a referral?

When I had problems with a property I was moved to by the council, I kept complaining to them until they referred me to a floating support worker from transform housing. It's a charity that specifically supports clients who have housing needs, as well as for example communication needs. It depends where you live as to whether they cover your area. But there may be a charity that does similar, with a different name. As far as I know, you can be referred by a professional or self refer.

The council tried to fob me off dozens of times saying it had housed me somewhere that had been inspected & deemed safe. LOL a caravan, 4 feet off the ground with easy access to the underneath. Where there was 2 very visible giant uncovered 60x60 square man sized holes in the floor (as I had come from a rented furnished property & had no appliances to put there). You could literally walk right under the caravan. My child often tried to run under and play with the exposed electrics. I could easily climb up through the floor into the kitchen from outside. There was no way to secure it. The caravan was right next door to rows of other caravans filled with strangers. One of whom I'd been told by an unrelated neighbour, to never let near my child, due to suspect things said by a young girl living with him. This was just one of many safety issues. I lived alone with my 2 year old daughter, who was fenced off by dog gates. But I obviously got no sleep worrying about the risk of intruders. Of course I didn't know at the time who could help. I didn't even have an autism diagnosis until 5 years later. The support worker actually kept my case open for 5 years (the usual was 1-2 years). He helped me move twice & get a diagnosis. I had no idea I could have autism or what it was back then, until age 31.

I used to get problems with noisy neighbours kids, where I am now. I reported the loud crying for hours every night & man shouting at the child, to social services. Despite them never hearing it, they just assumed my autism was the issue. Deeming it normal family life. If it were normal then why was it just them. I told social services it occurred at the same time every night, after he smoked weed on the balcony. But apparently that was just fine. I didn't have my support worker, he had left by then. I get the impression something would've been done if he'd still been involved. But by then the council had made me feel like a burden. After a few years the family had another baby & strangely enough the issue stopped. It was just normal noise after then. I don't know if maybe another family moved in to a flat nearby & told them to pack it in. I don't speak to neighbours.

• Hi

Did you get a referral?

When I had problems with a property I was moved to by the council, I kept complaining to them until they referred me to a floating support worker from transform housing. It's a charity that specifically supports clients who have housing needs, as well as for example communication needs. It depends where you live as to whether they cover your area. But there may be a charity that does similar, with a different name. As far as I know, you can be referred by a professional or self refer.

The council tried to fob me off dozens of times saying it had housed me somewhere that had been inspected & deemed safe. LOL a caravan, 4 feet off the ground with easy access to the underneath. Where there was 2 very visible giant uncovered 60x60 square man sized holes in the floor (as I had come from a rented furnished property & had no appliances to put there). You could literally walk right under the caravan. My child often tried to run under and play with the exposed electrics. I could easily climb up through the floor into the kitchen from outside. There was no way to secure it. The caravan was right next door to rows of other caravans filled with strangers. One of whom I'd been told by an unrelated neighbour, to never let near my child, due to suspect things said by a young girl living with him. This was just one of many safety issues. I lived alone with my 2 year old daughter, who was fenced off by dog gates. But I obviously got no sleep worrying about the risk of intruders. Of course I didn't know at the time who could help. I didn't even have an autism diagnosis until 5 years later. The support worker actually kept my case open for 5 years (the usual was 1-2 years). He helped me move twice & get a diagnosis. I had no idea I could have autism or what it was back then, until age 31.

I used to get problems with noisy neighbours kids, where I am now. I reported the loud crying for hours every night & man shouting at the child, to social services. Despite them never hearing it, they just assumed my autism was the issue. Deeming it normal family life. If it were normal then why was it just them. I told social services it occurred at the same time every night, after he smoked weed on the balcony. But apparently that was just fine. I didn't have my support worker, he had left by then. I get the impression something would've been done if he'd still been involved. But by then the council had made me feel like a burden. After a few years the family had another baby & strangely enough the issue stopped. It was just normal noise after then. I don't know if maybe another family moved in to a flat nearby & told them to pack it in. I don't speak to neighbours.

Children
  • Oh dear, sounds like you've been through it too. Council have been no help at all, been back to complain about 6 times and they just say it's normal family noise, even tho it's happening through the night.

We're at the GP on Friday. My daughter's not feeling very hopeful, she's feeling there's no answer. She's very down and I'm anxious that we're not going to get any help and she'll be even worse.