PIP Assessment

I've just had notification of assessment appointment. Cue. anxiety and worry. 

I'm not sure what to expect and i have to arrange time off work at short notice. 

Can anyone please give some advice on how to cope without going mute or having a meltdown? 

Parents
  • I don't feel the need to take anyone with me as I attended my initial and renewal assessments alone and was awarded PIP both times. I do take a piece of paper and a pen and explain how due to anxiety, plus poor auditory memory, I often get overwhelmed in interview type interactions so may need the time to write down what they're saying and a few minutes to bullet point my answers. After all, putting strategies in place and explaining what you do this further demonstrates some of the challenges you face day-to-day. I've recently added a diagnosis and due to this had an assessment at home on a Sunday morning. As my husband was in he sat around the table with myself and the assessor and I explained he was there as he was able to add extra info if it was felt I could answer a question more thoroughly. 

The assessment is simply a conversation to check what you've put on the form is true, so they may say things like 'you said you struggled with x, can you please explain this to me'. They're looking for you to talk about the issues/strategies you put on the form, if you talk about additional issues/strategies they'll provide prompts for what they're looking for. If you have any extra evidence to back up the statements on your form you can add it at the interview stage.

The evidence needs to specifically relate to what you're saying. For example, someone a few weeks ago submitted a copy of an academic maths qualification to prove they had budgeting issues and unsurprisingly they scored zero points for this area as an academic certificate doesn't specifically evidence budgeting issues. Suitable evidence for this is bank statements showing the need to constantly use an overdraft even when their income is enough to cover their bills and everyday living expenses. have been awarded points in this area in the past.

I see assessors as individuals who've simply applied for posts that often have better pay and hours than what they had before e.g working as a nurse. I don't believe they're out to get me and treat them with respect, including offering them a drink, checking there ok sat where I've positioned them etc. Having an open mind makes the situation a lot less stressful than going in with a pessimistic attitude.

It would also be useful to double-check the descriptors as a lot of people complain they haven't been awarded points when they're confused by the criteria and the examples they've put clearly demonstrate they are capable in this area.

• I don't feel the need to take anyone with me as I attended my initial and renewal assessments alone and was awarded PIP both times. I do take a piece of paper and a pen and explain how due to anxiety, plus poor auditory memory, I often get overwhelmed in interview type interactions so may need the time to write down what they're saying and a few minutes to bullet point my answers. After all, putting strategies in place and explaining what you do this further demonstrates some of the challenges you face day-to-day. I've recently added a diagnosis and due to this had an assessment at home on a Sunday morning. As my husband was in he sat around the table with myself and the assessor and I explained he was there as he was able to add extra info if it was felt I could answer a question more thoroughly. 

The assessment is simply a conversation to check what you've put on the form is true, so they may say things like 'you said you struggled with x, can you please explain this to me'. They're looking for you to talk about the issues/strategies you put on the form, if you talk about additional issues/strategies they'll provide prompts for what they're looking for. If you have any extra evidence to back up the statements on your form you can add it at the interview stage.

The evidence needs to specifically relate to what you're saying. For example, someone a few weeks ago submitted a copy of an academic maths qualification to prove they had budgeting issues and unsurprisingly they scored zero points for this area as an academic certificate doesn't specifically evidence budgeting issues. Suitable evidence for this is bank statements showing the need to constantly use an overdraft even when their income is enough to cover their bills and everyday living expenses. have been awarded points in this area in the past.

I see assessors as individuals who've simply applied for posts that often have better pay and hours than what they had before e.g working as a nurse. I don't believe they're out to get me and treat them with respect, including offering them a drink, checking there ok sat where I've positioned them etc. Having an open mind makes the situation a lot less stressful than going in with a pessimistic attitude.

It would also be useful to double-check the descriptors as a lot of people complain they haven't been awarded points when they're confused by the criteria and the examples they've put clearly demonstrate they are capable in this area.

Children
No Data