Managing noise sensitivity (when you've forgotten the headphones)

Evening all.

Today wasn't great; I managed to forget my noise cancelling headphones, which I often rely on for using public transport, walking through the city centre and sitting in an office with lots of background noise. I really struggled with noise sensitivity all day, then all my other sensory issues gradually kicked in (the lights were too bright, the smells were too strong, I couldn't cope with people brushing against me on the commute etc. I felt very overloaded at work and could barely focus. I managed to get through the day, but just had to crawl into bed when I got home.

Ideally, I wouldn't forget my headphones... but does anyone have any tips for when this happens? I'm likely to forget again, so I'd really like to have some back-up strategies in place.

Thanks Slight smile

Parents
  • i have packets of disposal ear plugs (amazon,screwfix) in my desk and rucksack etc so i can use them if need be. I have multiple sets of headphones/ear defenders and earbud headphones at work and at home. i put a finger in my ear if someone is loud  and i have no protection. If I completely stuck  i have used crumpled tissue paper, cotton wool or bluetack as temporary ear plugs ( u make the shape of disposal ear plugs ). but  i cant recommend u do this :)

• Thanks Aidie - the disposal ear pligs are a great idea Slight smile I'll try to keep enough of them around so I don't have to use emergency tissue paper/blue tack Slight smile

Reply Children
No Data