Reminding myself that this isn't / wasn't trivial

I'm feeling it today & need to write this:

• 1993 to 2003: 20 years of having a "real job" after uni
  • Most of those years struggling with depression & anxiety
  • Doing what everyone else does - modelling and masking
  • 1993-2014: Raising a family & step-family
  • 2014-2016: Starting to use unhealthy coping mechanisms
  • 2016-2017: Feeling successful & maybe a bit frantic (note - alexithymia)
  • 2017: BOOM! I don't care anymore!. Can't even write. Autistic burnout. 3 months off sick, still recovering today.
  • 2018 - referred for ASD assessment
  • 2019 - diagnosed autistic

I'm now trying hard to live in a way that is kind to me, to avoid repeating a burnout. It was a frightening experience and literally nearly killed me. Living by my new rules provides a healthy level of stress.

But, back in the work environment, the "do what everyone else does" drive is seductive. It whispers in my ear that it will be OK, I'm not really that different, and *everyone* does it - this is normal; go back to what you've been taught by observation since you were a child!. And when something unexpected happens at work, my mind empties of thoughts and there is total vacuum where my mental "to do" list was. The wolf of stress huffing and puffing and blowing down the straw house of executive functioning.

I might have to use the phrase "I need to hide today" and hope people understand, because I can't bare to go through the explanations of autism and how it affects me and how exhausting social interaction is.

Parents Reply
  • I stumbled into "proper" social skills training at work almost by accident. One of the usual "development programmes" came around and everyone was sent on it - I made friends there, including with the head of HR. Then I got invited on coaching training, which I jumped on to as I'd read a lot about the theory of coaching, and that led to a fairly experimental course on Neuro-Linguistig Programming. I found it easy enough to do all of this "people stuff" because we were all willing participants and in my mind I was doing science :-). Unfortunately for me that lead me to think I was invincible and could lead teams and change the company - I found out the hard way that I couldn't (or I could to an extent, but only at the expense of autistic burnout!).

Children
  • I think A LOT of people are confused about the current assessment/diagnosis of ASD or Aspergers/Autism. Not everyone is up to date with the updated versions of both the ICD and DSM. Although to the best of my knowledge, the assessment process was the same prior to the changeover, it’s just that before you would have got a differential diagnosis whereas now you just get ASD.

• That's what I thought. I'm so easily thrown by a question sometimes!

• There aren't separate assessments. The assessment is for ASD. More and more assessment centres are switching over to the DSM-5 or the ICD-11 and giving a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder rather than a differential diagnosis of Aspergers/Autism. The DSM-5 has already replaced the DSM-4 and by 2022 the ICD-11 will have fully replaced the ICD-10 meaning that the only diagnosis available anywhere will be Autism Spectrum Disorder.

• Hi - I hadn't really imagined that there might be separate assessments? I was assessed against DSM-V, and given a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder F84.0, scoring 12 on ADOS. My report says I might want to read about Asperger as it may be pertinent (as if I already hadn't! :-) ).

My assessments consisted of an interview supported by questionnaires (I think this was an ADI-R), and some months later an ADOS where I got my diagnosis.

I'm still waiting to read something that definitively and finally explains any subtypes within ASD & I think I might be waiting a long time!

I refer to myself simply as Autistic (and I feel justified in doing so with an ADOS score of 12) but I had no language delays as a child, and I've read that this has been considered to indicate Asperger's rather than "classic" Autism - but under DSM-V these qualitative differences don't exist. Clear as mud hey?

• Hi..

Was your assessment for Autism or Aspergers? sorry to ask..but  quite curious!