If Autism could be cured, would you?

I think it's an interesting question to ask, if a cure for Autism were ever created, would you cure yourself?

It's hard for me to decide on whether or not I would cure myself, because there are positives and negatives of having Autism in my opinion.

Positives of my Autism:

• Idiosyncratic interests have led to me being very successful in certain areas.
  • Less likely to give in to peer-pressure because I really don't care about what others think in those terms.
  • Having a rigid thinking pattern and being well organised makes life easier (IMO).
  • My honesty is appreciated by some people.

Negatives of my Autism:

• My face not reflecting how I really feel, so constantly being told that I have "resting-*****-face".
  • Getting uncontrollably stressed and anxious over things that I know are stupid.
  • Sensitivity to light and sound.
  • Finding it difficult to find and maintain friendships.
  • My honesty is not appreciated by most people.
  • Laughing at things that most people don't find funny and looking like an idiot.

If my Autism disappeared, I wonder if my personality would completely change.. and if that would be for the better? If I had to give an answer right here right now, I would probably say no to a cure simply because I think I would become unrecognisable personality wise. 

Parents
  • It sounds like you're saying "If you could become neurotypical, would you?"

- If I lost all the attributes I ascribe to being autistic, good and bad then 'probably not' (though that depends on what kind of an autie-day I'm having) as I'd lose too much 'awesome'

- If I only lost the negative attributes I ascribe to being autistic then 'yes, in a heartbeat' as I would be 'even more awesome'

Better to ask if there was a virus you could release that would make NTs actually 'a bit autistic' (like they often claim to be), would you?

Yes I bloody well would!

• Am I missing something here or do people here genuinely seem to believe that Autism isn't a disease/disorder and just put it down to being "neurologically diverse"?

• I have huge social deficiencies - but huge technical capabilities - I can choose to limit my social stress and play that game on my own terms - conversely, my technical abilities meant I was always in demand to do very niche, well-paid jobs where I could excel.     The money I earned meant I could indulge my hobbies and do 'nice' things in my spare time.

I think a lot of people with autism don't 'know' themselves so they end up in careers that do not suit them or play to their own strengths - I imagine this would be my idea of hell - doing sales or dealing with people etc. or some other stress job dealing with NTs.

• I can relate to this. People who meet me for the first time think I'm witty, funny, clever and fun to be with. And I am...........for the half an hour that I chose to spend charming you. I don't want more than that and if you show up at my door in a few days time, all smiley and friendly, thinking I'll be the same, you'll see the side of me that has lost me friends and family. I could have had a brilliant 'career' as a mistress, just being funny and amusing for a couple of hours a week. Could I be in an office or deal with customers on a daily basis? Judging from my many short lived jobs, no I couldn't.
    Masking takes a lot of effort and I can't do it long term or daily without eventually blowing a gasket, usually because people see that I'm easily riled, so they play the "let's see if we can wind her up" game, then act hurt and surprised when I flip, start to swear and cry and throw things and physically attack them if they're daft enough to actually lay hands on me. I don't like to be touched by anyone, even on a good day, trying to pull me or push me when I'm mid flip out is stupid and dangerous (hence been arrested several times in my life for assault too). 

• I can relate to this. People who meet me for the first time think I'm witty, funny, clever and fun to be with. And I am...........for the half an hour that I chose to spend charming you. I don't want more than that and if you show up at my door in a few days time, all smiley and friendly, thinking I'll be the same, you'll see the side of me that has lost me friends and family. I could have had a brilliant 'career' as a mistress, just being funny and amusing for a couple of hours a week. Could I be in an office or deal with customers on a daily basis? Judging from my many short lived jobs, no I couldn't.
    Masking takes a lot of effort and I can't do it long term or daily without eventually blowing a gasket, usually because people see that I'm easily riled, so they play the "let's see if we can wind her up" game, then act hurt and surprised when I flip, start to swear and cry and throw things and physically attack them if they're daft enough to actually lay hands on me. I don't like to be touched by anyone, even on a good day, trying to pull me or push me when I'm mid flip out is stupid and dangerous (hence been arrested several times in my life for assault too). 

Children
No Data