This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Do you run your own business?

My work life has reached a point where I am struggling and it is looking likely I will have to leave my job.  Due to worsening health and other issues, I don't think I can deal with highly demanding and stressful roles anymore, as it is putting too much strain on my health.

I have always wanted to run my own business as part of my stresses are sticking points within companies and politics that prevent you from getting on with the job.

I was curious if any of you run your own businesses and whether they provide a good income for you (don't have to give specifics as I appreciate that is private).

It's an idea I am mulling over, I just have worries about whether I will be able to cope and will my health let me down - so it is something I am going to have to think hard about.

We are a varied bunch, so I am interested to hear your stories for some inspiration.  Why did you decide to take the leap into running your own business.  Was it what you expected?

Parents
  • Hello. I have been self-employed for 6 years and now I'm looking to return to employment as self-employment also has many downsides.

Why I went self employed:

I'm talented at what I do (leadership training) but relentless pressure of unrealistic deadlines and corporate politics meant long unfulfilling hours. Salary was good but it crushed my spirit and rush hour commute and open plan offices just don't suit me.  I'm still awaiting a formal diagnosis, I didn't realise at the time I was Aspie but looking back I can see why my working environment was not a good fit for me.

What I love about self-employed:

Good mix of working from home and working on client site so I can have manage sensory overload issues much better, less commuting time, more in control of when and how I do work. Higher day rate offsets need to work every day - but I've done at least as many hours at work self-employed than employed because it takes me AGES to do the stuff I'm crap at, like generating sales and admin, when you're a solo-preneur you have to do ALL the jobs. I've never got to the point where I had enough work to hire people to do the stuff I struggle with (I tried a few virtual admins on day rate but none did a good job so I ended up doing it myself again)

What I hate

Networking events to try and win work and get your name out there, writing blogs and articles, being on social media, I even wrote a book and hired a PR agency to help me raise my profile. However in SIX YEARS I have never created a single inbound customer despite significant and sustained effort and a ***-load of social anxiety putting myself outside my comfort zone.  All of my work has been via referral (as I do good work!) but good ole Brexit has meant that leadership development is not a priority for many organisations and my pipeline is now virtually empty. I live alone and only way to pay bills is to return to employment. It is also fiercely lonely working alone from home if you don't have a partner or regular contact with people. Like most Aspies I have a small circle of friends who I see 1:1 but they are busy people with careers and it's not enough to sustain the amount of social contact that's preferable for me. Clients don't count somehow as it's a different type of interaction. I have had to develop ninja skills at maintaining my own mental health whilst self-employed so be prepared for the huge ambiguity and financial uncertainty that comes with it.

Why I'm considering return to employment

Financial security, ability to make a bigger difference by working with the same cohort of people over time, make some new friends and possibly find a romantic partner, hopeful that the workplace has moved on in the last 6 years and IF I EVER GET TO THE TOP OF THE LIST TO GET FORMALLY ASSESSED FOR ASD then an understanding employer that will be okay with me making some adjustments to my ways of working to get the best out of me!

hope that helps, good luck whatever you decide

Daisy

• Thanks for sharing your experiences. I share some of your concerns around networking, lead generation and sales. This is something I struggle with which is why I think property development/management would be better suited for me.

Essentially the agents would do that bit for me.

It's sad that tou have had to seek employment for the stability, but I hope it works out well and offers you more security.

• Thanks for sharing your experiences. I share some of your concerns around networking, lead generation and sales. This is something I struggle with which is why I think property development/management would be better suited for me.

Essentially the agents would do that bit for me.

It's sad that tou have had to seek employment for the stability, but I hope it works out well and offers you more security.

Children
  • Thank you Starbuck. Everything is up in the air at the moment. Feeling determined to find a solution one way or another! Hope your pondering about next steps goes well. In my experience it's really hard to get the "people balance" right, I either seem to be socially overwhelmed or lonely from time to time with mercifully long stretches of 'just about right' in the middle.