This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Do you run your own business?

My work life has reached a point where I am struggling and it is looking likely I will have to leave my job.  Due to worsening health and other issues, I don't think I can deal with highly demanding and stressful roles anymore, as it is putting too much strain on my health.

I have always wanted to run my own business as part of my stresses are sticking points within companies and politics that prevent you from getting on with the job.

I was curious if any of you run your own businesses and whether they provide a good income for you (don't have to give specifics as I appreciate that is private).

It's an idea I am mulling over, I just have worries about whether I will be able to cope and will my health let me down - so it is something I am going to have to think hard about.

We are a varied bunch, so I am interested to hear your stories for some inspiration.  Why did you decide to take the leap into running your own business.  Was it what you expected?

• [Spam post removed by mod]

• The hardest task is to work with the right instruments in business operations.

• Hopefully, yes, I have. Things are better than they were. But things are always precarious if you have any kind of small business, it seems to me

• I have been doing my own business for 5 years. I  left a large company because he was completely exhausted.  If you are interested, I can recommend you an excellent company [removed by mod]. Factoring services help me to be sure that the client will make a payment for the goods on time and in full. Believe my experience, this is really important when you are engaged in sales. I have encountered a huge number of unscrupulous contractors and sometimes this discouraged any desire to continue doing this. But factoring solved the problem.

• I was a director of a consultancy business for 20 years and didn't know I was autistic until long after I left.  I retrained in a less stressful, more creative, more enjoyable, far less lucrative job in my mid 50s and never looked back.  Dealing with sales is horrible  but I'm fortunate in that I basically don't, very often - I 'sell sweeties to my friends', by which I mean I sell services to people I've known for years, who know my professional and technical reputation, and they're business contacts, not friends. On the board of a company I had to deal with difficult clients all the time - your ability to retain business affects the livelihoods of your colleagues and you have a responsibility to them.  I did that, for 26 years (20 of them on the Board).  The stress levels coming from that were sometimes overwhelming but I thought it was more or less the same for everyone; it involves almost permanent masking, for years, but I did that intuitively, without knowing I was doing it.   Working for yourself, you're freed from all that; if you walk away from business, you're the only person affected.  I actually had a very profitable account which basically dropped into my lap almost as soon as I'd opened for business but the guy was a nightmare to deal with. I'm afraid I had a meltdown in writing (on an email) within weeks.   No, it wasn't great.  What I said was true, although most of it was better left unsaid.  But it terminated the relationship, and that was the outcome that was best for me. I have a small number of retained clients so that doesn't happen often but if I get someone I just can't deal with I can recognise the situation, objectively and on an intellectual basis (knowing, now, that I'm autistic); I now have a 'protocol', which depersonalises the thing and allows me to deal with it ... irrespective of how big the account is, I tell them, politely but assertively, that their particular requirements may be better served by someone else. It's a big decision to make because it has real financial impact (I am retained by clients, typically for several years, so losing one can reduce my income by a quarter, maybe) but I'm fortunate that I can make that decision.   I only discovered recently that I was autistic and a lot of cogs fell into place, retrospectively, including an understanding of the management strategies I've always put in place to cope with difficult folks.   The ability to say 'goodbye' to them once you work for yourself is a huge relief.  

• I want to open my own business! - You often hear the familiar phrase. Many people dream of opening their own business and earning good money. At one time, I spent a lot of time on the business directory, learning how and with what to start your own business from scratch and build and promote a profitable business. You will need a promising business idea to create any business. If you don't have an idea, you can't start a good and efficient company. Where do you get a business idea? You can brainstorm, write down all the exciting ideas and choose the most appropriate one. Also, think about what you are good at and whether you can make money from it.

• Hi Starbuck, I’m an Electrician and run my own business locally. I previously worked in catering and retail for various big corporates, but like you the politics and endless meetings and unnecessary pressure became too much.

Initially I set up as a handyman, but was lucky enough to get a job as a labourer/apprentice with a local builders (I was 43 at the time) This was like a breath of fresh air. Working with my hands, outside, with straight talking builders is so refreshing. Ultimately though I decided to retrain and get a qualification and set up on my own. It’s been a challenge and isn’t without it’s issues, I find going to peoples houses and doing quotes really difficult, but at the end of the day it’s all me. I get to say who I work for, when how long for etc.

I would thoroughly recommend a complete change of direction.

• Yes, at the moment the business is making good profits, and most importantly, I see joy and pleasure in the eyes of my visitors. I tried from the very beginning to create the most comfortable atmosphere for them. Believe it or not, at the very beginning, I had difficulty choosing a good bakery name. It took me a very long time to choose the name myself, to brainstorm with my friends. In the end, I was helped by a free AI-powered name generator that gave me great options for my business. We live in a wonderful time.

• I do the simple if you don’t spend your money now you’ll have money to spend later stuff and a lot more.

We use investment managers to deal with the people who have the good ideas about where and when to invest. I’d be almost constantly overwhelmed trying to handle the investments.

• je  whiz   that's impressive. Is there anything worth while investing in today ?

• I own a financial advice practice and look after 400 clients with the help of a couple of staff

• so sorry you where treated this way   -----  old post aaaaaaagh

• well done i hope it succeeds and grows

• I ran a busy Gp surgery and nursing home for 30;years. Should have been looking after myself and my family more though

• I have my own business. I opened a bakery six months ago.

• Thank you Starbuck. Everything is up in the air at the moment. Feeling determined to find a solution one way or another! Hope your pondering about next steps goes well. In my experience it's really hard to get the "people balance" right, I either seem to be socially overwhelmed or lonely from time to time with mercifully long stretches of 'just about right' in the middle.