Boyfriend has just been diagnosed with autism (age 19)

We have been together nearly 3 years and my boyfriend has dyspraxia and dyslexia, recently he received his confirmation that he is also autistic. We are starting our second year at uni in September and we live together so I am with him 90% of the time. I wondered what help is accessible, I have read about PIP, but I didn't know whether I would be acceptable as a carer (I feel like it would be something I needed to justify as he means a lot to me and 'carer' makes it sound like a job). Any information would be appreciated as I really don't know what I can do to make his life that little bit easier.  

Parents
  • I was awarded the enhanced rate the first time I applied and again at renewal. I felt I was successful as I approached it like an academic essay - making my point then providing evidence. For example,

Reading and understanding symbols and words

Black text on a white background buzzes, causing me rapid fatigue when reading. As such, I can not read without an aid, as page xxx of the Needs Assessment states, this is the screen tinting software Claro Read. I also wear green-tinted glasses when needed, including reading handouts in lectures (see xxx for evidence of this). Furthermore, as page xx of the needs assessment states, I am unable to spot my own errors when reading back written work and instead use text-to-speech software to read aloud my work as I find I am able to spot more errors this way.

• I was awarded the enhanced rate the first time I applied and again at renewal. I felt I was successful as I approached it like an academic essay - making my point then providing evidence. For example,

Reading and understanding symbols and words

Black text on a white background buzzes, causing me rapid fatigue when reading. As such, I can not read without an aid, as page xxx of the Needs Assessment states, this is the screen tinting software Claro Read. I also wear green-tinted glasses when needed, including reading handouts in lectures (see xxx for evidence of this). Furthermore, as page xx of the needs assessment states, I am unable to spot my own errors when reading back written work and instead use text-to-speech software to read aloud my work as I find I am able to spot more errors this way.

Children
  • I didn't really think about this thank you. My boyfriend has tinted glasses and has to wear them to reduce the light (his are red), I suggested he applied for DSA and he was rewarded lots of software to help, as have I.

• BTW like many women I was mis-diagnosed with MH issues before autism, therefore, my first PIP claim was for MH. If you feel you meet the criteria and have enough evidence to back it up (such as a print out of your GP notes) you could apply too.