Holidays

I just wondered what the best sort of holidays people have had?

Parents
  • When I go on holiday, I like to go to somewhere there are lots of historical buildings/monuments/sites of interest that I can explore. My best ever holiday was in Egypt, I absolutely loved exploring the Valleys of the Kings and Queens; The Pyramid complex at Giza and various Temples. These days I tend to stick to UK holidays and am slowly working through the English Heritage catalogue of castles.

• One thing to be careful of. Is that many historical places are closed on certain days or even over the winter months.

I missed out on Donegal castle, Totnes castle because I was there on the wrong day of the week.

The Hadrians wall bus service only ran April to October. 

The moral is check before you travel.

• Yes the opening hours of castles and historical places of interest can be sketchy to say the least! I always check first before I set off on my journey and select a plan B if the plan A is closed. 

• Oh no! Yes, sometimes the best laid plans can still go wrong! I find with the English Heritage cards that there is usually 'somewhere' that I can visit, even if it's not my first choice. 

Ennerskillen sounds interesting, what was it like? Likewise, the Lake District. I've never been to the Lake District myself, when I was in year 9 at secondary school (back in the early 90's) I had the choice between Snowdonia or the Lake District for the year 9 trip and I chose Snowdonia. Is the Lake District worth a visit?

I hope that your sunburn wasn't too bad when you finally got to visit Hadrian's wall?

• Oh no! Yes, sometimes the best laid plans can still go wrong! I find with the English Heritage cards that there is usually 'somewhere' that I can visit, even if it's not my first choice. 

Ennerskillen sounds interesting, what was it like? Likewise, the Lake District. I've never been to the Lake District myself, when I was in year 9 at secondary school (back in the early 90's) I had the choice between Snowdonia or the Lake District for the year 9 trip and I chose Snowdonia. Is the Lake District worth a visit?

I hope that your sunburn wasn't too bad when you finally got to visit Hadrian's wall?

Children
No Data