Changing times

• I'm not formally diagnosed. I was born in the 1980s. I'd hold the dinnerladys hand in the playground at primary every lunch time. Id wet myself as the toilets smelt weird. I wouldn't eat lunch as the canteen smelt so strong and the noise was too much. I didnt have friends. In high school still no friends but I'd try everynow and again to talk to girls. Most lunch times I found a bush to sit in and eat my lunch! I'd melt down at home and get hit. I'd spin and wave my arms. My mum would say she could never understand me. I feel like I was cheated somehow, if I'd had diagnoses I wouldn't have had the awful life experiences I've had. Wouldn't have been used and abused by various people. Wouldn't have tried taking my life twice. I feel sad for the life I've had and for the life I could of had. Hope this makes sense, anyone else feel like this?
Parents
  • I can understand how you feel. I was also born before autism was known to most people. And my parents wouldn't let me get a diagnosis even though it had been suspected in high school (they believed it was a discriminating and self-limiting label). I've been hit at home too and yelled at. I've had many awful life experiences and no support, and even though I've had finally sought a diagnosis as an adult, life is still hard. I think this forum has been very helpful to me, because knowing that other people have had similar experiences makes me feel not so alone, and understood. I hope you'll too find here a group of friends, who also got diagnosed late in adulthood (some people even older than you), who can understand and share your experiences. Sometimes it is quite encouraging to see some of the older people who have struggled because of the late diagnosis, but still have lots of willpower to carry on. You are still relatively young (30s), and still get a formal assessment, and have a brighter future awaiting you.

• I can understand how you feel. I was also born before autism was known to most people. And my parents wouldn't let me get a diagnosis even though it had been suspected in high school (they believed it was a discriminating and self-limiting label). I've been hit at home too and yelled at. I've had many awful life experiences and no support, and even though I've had finally sought a diagnosis as an adult, life is still hard. I think this forum has been very helpful to me, because knowing that other people have had similar experiences makes me feel not so alone, and understood. I hope you'll too find here a group of friends, who also got diagnosed late in adulthood (some people even older than you), who can understand and share your experiences. Sometimes it is quite encouraging to see some of the older people who have struggled because of the late diagnosis, but still have lots of willpower to carry on. You are still relatively young (30s), and still get a formal assessment, and have a brighter future awaiting you.

Children
  • Hi Qwerty, I'm sad to hear you too have struggled. With diagnoses I think you need your parents input. My mum stopped talking to me as she would say Im too direct and causing trouble. I could never understand what she meant. Now I think I was being too honest. My dad exagerates things so makes me anxious, I had to cut him off as I couldnt handle it. This forum is really good, I feel like I finally belong somewhere. I never felt like I belonged anywhere and was always moving around as i couldnt figure it out