Learning to Drive - Sensory

I'm trying to learn to drive at the moment. I've had 30 hours of lessons and it's mostly going fine, but I'm really struggling to cope with the sensations of the car/ road. I can manage most of it, usually, but I really struggle with the feeling of changing gear, which is making hill starts particularly really difficult because I don't like making the engine rev because it's loud and feels horrible. And to make it worse my instructor has just got a new car and it's it's really loud.

Does anyone have any experience of learning to drive and overcoming the sensory stuff that I'm finding quite overwhelming?

Parents
  • I actually think driving is one thing I'm good at. I have to have the windows open even if I have air conditioning and music as loud as I can tollerate.i dont know why but it helps me. People not stRoflking to the rules of the rodd makes me mad though. I'll indicate even if I'm the only human being left on the planet lol

• I used to get wound up by other people's driving. But now I just think, there will always be d*** drivers so just give them the space to be d*** drivers. I find listening to classical music is really calming. I find other drivers more amusing than irritating now. Like over taking and speeding .... to end up at traffic lights. You don't get to your destination faster by speeding! How is this not obvious? And I always let other drivers in to my lane, or out at junctions, but drivers behind me get so angry. It's one car! It's called being considerate! One car will not make you any later!

• Nope, you have found driving bliss. You are correct that you have to remain relaxed. Classic music is a big plus, although if I am in a rush there will be some fast beat hard track on. It is also true that there are many muppets out there. Don't expect much skill or consideration from the human race at large. If you do, you will be disappointed. I have don't enough miles now and many in rush hours, that I consider the time stuck in traffic to be an opportunity to relax to some nice music, and I am very forgiving of other's lack of ability or consideration.

• Nope, you have found driving bliss. You are correct that you have to remain relaxed. Classic music is a big plus, although if I am in a rush there will be some fast beat hard track on. It is also true that there are many muppets out there. Don't expect much skill or consideration from the human race at large. If you do, you will be disappointed. I have don't enough miles now and many in rush hours, that I consider the time stuck in traffic to be an opportunity to relax to some nice music, and I am very forgiving of other's lack of ability or consideration.

Children