Can’t process events

Hello all

so I went on holiday not long ago, o got back and two weeks on I am still trying to understand the time I spent there, day by day. As soon as I try and do it, especially thinking about the days where I was more active (paraglide for the first time) but afterwards I felt sick. Thinking back in time is very difficult for me to do.... regardless. But since it was a significant time and in getting older now, starting to notice things about myself more, I see that this really affects me emotionally.

What do you think?

Parents

• Hello all

so I went on holiday not long ago, o got back and two weeks on I am still trying to understand the time I spent there, day by day. As soon as I try and do it, especially thinking about the days where I was more active (paraglide for the first time) but afterwards I felt sick. Thinking back in time is very difficult for me to do.... regardless. But since it was a significant time and in getting older now, starting to notice things about myself more, I see that this really affects me emotionally.

What do you think?

Might you be noticing that your mind does not function in a linear way in terms of memory storage; but divergently maybe? 

Perhaps try recalling and writing down what you did on holiday as those things come to mind, in their own order, then work out what the days were that you did those things on, possibly?

It can help if someone else asks you about what you did and inquires about particular or general details, such as did you go overseas, did you stay in a hotel or on a campsite, was the weather good and scenery inspiring, did you go to anywhere in particular like museums, landmarks or restaurants etcetera ~ for example?

• thank you. I agree with your use divergent thinking. i never thought of it that way. how I would usually work it is have somebody ask me about experiences from the time. I still remember a taste I got around 6 years ago. that isn't always helpful to recall events as its such a small detail to focus in on to get an overall picture. what you said really helped me see it differently though. how would you say is a good idea to gather all those divergent details?

• thank you. I agree with your use divergent thinking. i never thought of it that way. how I would usually work it is have somebody ask me about experiences from the time. I still remember a taste I got around 6 years ago. that isn't always helpful to recall events as its such a small detail to focus in on to get an overall picture.

Well rather than focusing on the small detail such as you say a taste from six years ago, consider also what gave you that taste ~ where were you, what led you to having that taste, i.e. was it offered or chosen, who offered it or were there other choices, and so on as sequences of progression involving connections with people, things, times and places.

Nothing occurs in isolation or without being a tapestry of experience, and just like many new artists have to learn to differentiate between the subtleties or hues of colours to begin with, allow your perceptions or sensibilities to broaden your experiential memoirs and recollections ~ investigate them with fascination and curiosity, rather than trepidation and a sense of impending doom or failure.

Use catastrophic thinking for planning around problems and solving them rather than when recollecting one's adventures and explorations ~ you went to them in the first place so let them come to you.

how would you say is a good idea to gather all those divergent details?

Hopefully I may of just covered this question above, but if not and you are asking which methodology to apply possibly (?) ~ I would suggest a technique called priming like for instance trying with effort to recall something earlier that comes effortlessly back to mind later.

Focus for example deeply on something such as seeing the paragliding harness and putting or having it put on, recalling every detail of so doing, how it felt to wear it and the helmet and how nervous and determined to be in it you were ~  then let your mind freely recollect the journey and the views etc.

Put all the effort in the priming and do all the relaxing with the recollecting.

Or if you were asking about recording mediums, using photographs if you took or had any taken can be really useful, and a voice recorder so that you can listen to your memoirs recorded on CD and remind yourself of further things as you recollect more. As such you can also interview yourself as long as you do not (as some do) find the recorded sound of their own voice unsettling.

If any of that helps perhaps?

• thank you. I agree with your use divergent thinking. i never thought of it that way. how I would usually work it is have somebody ask me about experiences from the time. I still remember a taste I got around 6 years ago. that isn't always helpful to recall events as its such a small detail to focus in on to get an overall picture.

Well rather than focusing on the small detail such as you say a taste from six years ago, consider also what gave you that taste ~ where were you, what led you to having that taste, i.e. was it offered or chosen, who offered it or were there other choices, and so on as sequences of progression involving connections with people, things, times and places.

Nothing occurs in isolation or without being a tapestry of experience, and just like many new artists have to learn to differentiate between the subtleties or hues of colours to begin with, allow your perceptions or sensibilities to broaden your experiential memoirs and recollections ~ investigate them with fascination and curiosity, rather than trepidation and a sense of impending doom or failure.

Use catastrophic thinking for planning around problems and solving them rather than when recollecting one's adventures and explorations ~ you went to them in the first place so let them come to you.

how would you say is a good idea to gather all those divergent details?

Hopefully I may of just covered this question above, but if not and you are asking which methodology to apply possibly (?) ~ I would suggest a technique called priming like for instance trying with effort to recall something earlier that comes effortlessly back to mind later.

Focus for example deeply on something such as seeing the paragliding harness and putting or having it put on, recalling every detail of so doing, how it felt to wear it and the helmet and how nervous and determined to be in it you were ~  then let your mind freely recollect the journey and the views etc.

Put all the effort in the priming and do all the relaxing with the recollecting.

Or if you were asking about recording mediums, using photographs if you took or had any taken can be really useful, and a voice recorder so that you can listen to your memoirs recorded on CD and remind yourself of further things as you recollect more. As such you can also interview yourself as long as you do not (as some do) find the recorded sound of their own voice unsettling.

If any of that helps perhaps?

Children
  • very interesting iv leant something here thank you ,im just getting to grips with who i am as iv only recently found out that i have this condition. condition not as diagnosis as I believe the word diagnosis  pertains to a deficit do we have any more than the typical person . no i dont think so just different ones  which i don think are necessarily all that bad