Noise sensitivity or something else?

Hi all, 

Got to say that even after almost a year, I'm finding understanding my triggers that are so contradictory almost impossible. 

Today I've had to come home sick from sensory overload because of some heavy hammering being done behind me with no warning. 

There's plenty of evidence that I struggle with sensory issues.   However there's also contradictions.  Give me a hammer and I'll happily hit things on occasion. 

Is there some subtlety around sensory overload around lack of anticipation that makes the difference? 

Do other autistic people find their sensory issues simpler, whether they're creating the noise or not? 

Thanks, 

Craig

Parents
  • I can't handle sirens - they often make me cry - but I love live music gigs and play in a band myself. I struggle more or less depending on how I'm doing on a particular day but some days I cannot handle loud speaker announcements, they kind of produce a physical revulsion in me and I need to get away from it or distract myself especially if the words are unclear. Some shops I can't go in if there is a combination of lights and sounds (computer shops are the worst) but then thunder and lightening I love. Also if am making the noise myself I'm fine.

• I can't handle sirens - they often make me cry - but I love live music gigs and play in a band myself. I struggle more or less depending on how I'm doing on a particular day but some days I cannot handle loud speaker announcements, they kind of produce a physical revulsion in me and I need to get away from it or distract myself especially if the words are unclear. Some shops I can't go in if there is a combination of lights and sounds (computer shops are the worst) but then thunder and lightening I love. Also if am making the noise myself I'm fine.

Children
No Data