Noise sensitivity or something else?

Hi all, 

Got to say that even after almost a year, I'm finding understanding my triggers that are so contradictory almost impossible. 

Today I've had to come home sick from sensory overload because of some heavy hammering being done behind me with no warning. 

There's plenty of evidence that I struggle with sensory issues.   However there's also contradictions.  Give me a hammer and I'll happily hit things on occasion. 

Is there some subtlety around sensory overload around lack of anticipation that makes the difference? 

Do other autistic people find their sensory issues simpler, whether they're creating the noise or not? 

Thanks, 

Craig

Parents
  • Great question Craig. This was one of the do I or don't I have a sensory issue before I was diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Condition.

The things that trigger me off are and sudden clanging of cutlery any slamming next to me just basically any sudden sharp noise that is in close proximity to myself whether being at home or at work. But the funny thing is if I do it I can handle it better. I'm guessing it's because of the knowing what's coming next?

The effect sudden noise has on me can result in either sudden moodiness, or on occasions maybe depending on my anxiety levels at the time, I have also experienced sensory input that servere that my eyes have wobbled side to side like a cartoon character.

• Great question Craig. This was one of the do I or don't I have a sensory issue before I was diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Condition.

The things that trigger me off are and sudden clanging of cutlery any slamming next to me just basically any sudden sharp noise that is in close proximity to myself whether being at home or at work. But the funny thing is if I do it I can handle it better. I'm guessing it's because of the knowing what's coming next?

The effect sudden noise has on me can result in either sudden moodiness, or on occasions maybe depending on my anxiety levels at the time, I have also experienced sensory input that servere that my eyes have wobbled side to side like a cartoon character.

Children
No Data