Assessment tomorrow!!

I've posted before under a NAS username and told myself I wouldnt post on here again until I chose a new username, then I couldn't decide what to call myself so I just didn't post. Sorry. I promise I'll contribute more now rather than just asking for support from you all all the time. 

Having said that...here I am posting for support again! I have my assessment tomorrow and I'm getting very, very nervous. I've gone back and forth a lot over the past 3 years about whether I am autistic or not and I'm currently feeling that I am not and that I'm probably just a hypochondriac/drama queen who wishes neurodevelopmental disorders on herself. 

I haven't done any prep work like sending in reams of info about myself, etc, even though I really wanted to, because I felt like it would just stress me out more. I've decided just to go along, answer the questions, do the tests and see what happens. 

I'm sure a lot of you felt like this about your assessments? What did you do that helped? What helped calm any assessment anxieties? 

Parents
  • Hello BabySpider. You went into detail about your username but then didn't detailed your inspiration about the one you chose! How did you settle on BabySpider? Did you see one? :) 

I'm on the waiting list for assessment and like you worried some days about autism is destroying my life and then others where I felt like a fraud - I can;t possibly be autistic...

I am going down the route of writing about myself though. I've got a 13 page document to take with me at the moment and it's still growing! It's probably overkill but I freeze in the moment, I sometimes wonder whether I'll be able to talk at all. So even if I don't share my document, I can at least read it to get me talking and jog my mind. It'll be there as a comfort blanket more than anything.

• Cloud - I couldn't think of a username so in the end I chose 2 random words and stuck them together!! 

I completely understand where you're coming from with 'freezing in the moment', I do the same normally when I see my GP  for anything but i had a pre-assessment for asd a couple of years ago and i was ok in that, so I'm hoping it will be the same tomorrow.

Hope you don't have too much longer to wait for assessment. Waiting seems to be the hardest bit imo.  

• Cloud - I couldn't think of a username so in the end I chose 2 random words and stuck them together!! 

I completely understand where you're coming from with 'freezing in the moment', I do the same normally when I see my GP  for anything but i had a pre-assessment for asd a couple of years ago and i was ok in that, so I'm hoping it will be the same tomorrow.

Hope you don't have too much longer to wait for assessment. Waiting seems to be the hardest bit imo.  

Children
  • Waiting seems to be the hardest bit imo

Definitely. And it's the fact you're waiting for an unknown period of time. My wait will be 6-9 months overall, I've waited nearly 2 months so far (on top of the time to even get to a referral). I'll feel better once I know the date. It's constantly on my mind adding to my list of worries...

All the best for tomorrow (I should have mentioned that before!!). Do let us know how you get on!