First flying with Autism

I'm due to fly for the first time in a few days but Have already seen a lack of appetitie as my anxiety is on one with all this stress.

I'm wondering how everyone has coped with Anxiety and how you have found your first flight.

Is there any tips for first time flyers which I haven't covered yet.

I have done the following
Airport Familation Visit
Destination Research
Packing early
Sorting out music
Preparing Lavendar Oil resucue

But i'm still struggling with stress of this pre flight stage and I'm getting the autism stress pains which is not good

Parents Reply Children
  • My bugbear when I used to travel SailRail was tech items like cables, chargers etc - now with my new phone, I find that I don’t need any of this for 5 days back home with family in Ireland from the U.K. and even less with air travel - but after my most recent horrific SailRail trip home since my diagnosis, after being stranded in Holyhead for 2 days trying to get back to where I live in Manchester for 20 years, I finally “copped on to myself” and realised that I cannot travel without a chaperone and then only by air travel due to my condition, the ongoing management of which requires ultra strict Millitary style discipline and everyone around me constantly telling me to “cop myself on” “for my own good” as part of management of my condition 

• With those of us that are recently diagnosed with ASD, we have to learn everything all over again, even if this seems over simplified to some - and this can be very difficult for those of us who have travelled before our diagnosis  - in my case, the way I’ve coped with it is to have ultra strict discipline for my own good 

• Frankly, in one way, people in our situation and with our disability deserve the equivalent of first class travel, given all the other limitations that our disability imposes on us and all of the other stuff that our disability forces us to put up with 

• Living in Manchester 20 years, recently diagnosed with ASD at age 52, family in Ireland near Dublin, I’d stopped flying after 2010 but found SailRail via Holyhead unreliable as an alternative to air travel in these days of carbon footprint and climate change (where I should have been made to fly) - after being stranded in Holyhead for 2 days during the train strike in Oct 2022, given that Millitary style and relentlessly ultra strict discipline is an important part of managing my condition, I now realise that travelling solo is no longer an option without a chaperone, nor is living alone and that flying is the only real option for travelling between the U.K. and back home to Ireland despite all the hassles involved

• Yes - pick up anything special at the terminal shops - the plane caters for generic passengers so don't expect anything special.  

It's a quick flight - by the time you're off the ground, the attendants will be flogging you food and drinks then there's only time to stuff your face before they're clearing it all away ready for landing.  Smiley

• Oh lovely with me I need some special toiletteres so I'm stuck with hold luggage but I'm defo thinking of raiding the terminal shops before boarding the plane to avoid the costs  on board, it been great sharing info with you

• I think your choices will be a bit limited - it's normally tea, coffee, juice, fizzy drinks or alcohol - or a combination of those.  Smiley

When we fly, we don't take any toiletries or liquids to make the whole security process easier - just buy what you need at the destination.     We also only take hand luggage - it means no waiting at the carousel - we're already out at the hire cars before anyone else.

• Anything herble will be my options 

• If you have the assistance booked, there's nothing you need to do except get to the airport - you will be helped through every stage by people used to dealing with autistic toddlers - you will be a breeze for them - they will deal with all of your worries and stress for you - it's easy for me to say, but you won't have any problems on the day.   Your hardest decision will be choosing your drinks.  Smiley

• Yes I do everything on because I'm lonely, I flying with Easyjet on there 4th ever flight to Jersey from Manchester. with my autism I tend to find my brain is replaced by a control room with a manned operator watching everything and it only one manned so when there a lot of new things planned and there no hard copys already in the system the control starts to panick pressing all the wrong buttoms

• Then it's probably just the typical nerves for doing something new.    Will you be on your own?     

I did Jersey years ago - I drove over 400 miles on a 10x5 mile island!  Smiley

• I have got special assitence booked and I'm going to cut out the smelly, bright and abinouxous duty free. I also have got the lanyard, which I'm going to use outside the airport when I'm in Jersey. when I went on the tour of my local airport I found I was quite settled and more intrested in the aircraft outside so It not the airside of the airport which is a problem it is probably something and nothing 

• Do you know about the disability assistance available at the airport?   The will give you a sunflower lanyard to let the staff & aircrew know you have a hidden disability - if you're at the airport early enough, they will walk you through the vip.disabled security so they go at your speed - no panic, no rush, no queues, no crowds.

If you speak to the airline, they will pre-board you and they will be very kind - they don't want you freaking out so they will bend over backwards to accommodate you.  Be clear with them about your problems when you board the plane - if you've spoken to the head office, they will be prepared for you.

You can also be met at the other end by the disability assistance people - they will get you through the airport at your destination with as little hassle as possible.

Hope you have a great time.