Assessment at 50

Hi

I am 50 , I have just been referred for an assessment by my GP: has anyone elase had an assessment as an adult.

Parents Reply Children
  • Whatever the outcome, your assessor will almost certainly be able to identify where your difficulties lie and will offer the best imaginable advice on what-if any as autism has no "cure"- course of action you could take to deal with whatever type of spanner it is and where in the works it is situated. They aren't going to say something like " No, you're not autistic, goodbye," " NEXT1"

It will be good,don't worry, and......GO!

• thanks for sharing your experiences with me

• 45 years old and diagnosed on Monday. Currently still taking it all in so cannot advise on long term impact, but currently I feel massive relief. Currently I am not planning to tell work. If I do it will be selected key people and I will ask them to keep it to themselves.

Good luck, either way.

• Then go for it - but in any post-diagnosis euphoria, think very carefully about who you tell.

My mum was in total denial and my brother and sister have used it as a bullying tool.

As I said - work was career suicide.

In-laws used it as a nasty bullying tool.

Friends were totally ok with it - and not really surprised.

• for me i think it would explain why things have been the way they have, not sure how my work would respond 

• Why do you want a diagnosis?    Post-diagnosis support is often non-existent so what do you think will happen?

There are huge pros and cons to you having a diagnosis - It's been useful to me to understand myself but, in my case, outing myself at work was career suicide.