A career in electronics or coding (computer programming) for persons with ASD.

Hi. A friend of mine who is 19 with ASD (I'm sure of it) wants a career in electronics. At high school he completed a GCSE in Design and Technology - Electronic Products. He got (I am told)  a grade "A" in practicals and a "C" in electronics theory (I think an overall grade of "B" - or grade 6). But he only got a grade 2 in math and 3 in English (Need grade 4 for a standard pass in GCSEs). He took his math and English GCESs  again recently, but won't know until August his results. At school he also did the European Computer Driving License (ECDL), where he got a distinction.

The problem he has got is that his math and English GCSE results are poor and that's why they had him doing gardening in his first year, In his second year he did business and some IT studies. For this coming September, the local college don't want him to continue with IT/ computing, they want him to do retail. His parents have decided he is not going back to college to do retail.

Anyway, at some point he has done some coding in class and pupils have come to him when they got stuck. So, the way forward seems to be for him to focus first on coding. It might be that through coding he will get to grips with electronics. In other words if he first gets to grips with coding that might lead to an understanding of electronics, and is preferable to getting a grip on electronics leading to an understanding of coding.  Who knows but in the end my friend might end up focusing on coding.

I just wonder if anyone here has experience of trying to get on in a career in electronics or coding where ASD has been an issue. Especially if it's been difficult to sort out a placement at college. Thanks. Rich

Parents
  • Look to the City & Guilds/NVQ route as it may suit him (it did me in my youth with my poor results).  There is some company that only employs Autistic/Asperger people but I cannot remember their name.  

I cannot believe that he is being forced by his college away from what he is good at.  

Remember now that electronics is not quite the same as it used to be - everything is surface mount on multiple layer circuit boards unlike the historic stuff.

• I cannot believe that he is being forced by his college away from what he is good at.

Neither can I - who are they to dictate your career?   As far as I'm concerned, you choose what courses you like at college - you're paying for it!

Remember now that electronics is not quite the same as it used to be - everything is surface mount on multiple layer circuit boards unlike the historic stuff.

In most niche industries, it's still old fashioned discrete electronics because of the huge investment needed to productionise pcbs.    Also, a lot of legacy installed equipment can be 20 to 30 years old and perfectly good for the job so don't dismiss getting handy with a soldering iron.

• a lot of legacy installed equipment can be 20 to 30 years old

Yes, especially in the rail industry. I may be getting my wires crossed though with electronics and electrical ... : P 

• Lots of pharmaceutical / medical manufacturers too - production licencing changes are complex and expensive so they stick with the electronics they know and maintain it.   I was maintaining DEC PDP 11/23 and 11/73 computers in mission-critical applications until 2012.

• Lots of pharmaceutical / medical manufacturers too - production licencing changes are complex and expensive so they stick with the electronics they know and maintain it.   I was maintaining DEC PDP 11/23 and 11/73 computers in mission-critical applications until 2012.

Children
No Data