Stomach Pains

I have been having lots of stomach pains and pain around the rib cage. I have had scans and blood tests but they have not found any medical answer. I have been seeing an osteopath and she says that it is all due to anxiety. Does anyone else get this and if so how do you prevent it? I am so fed up of constantly being in pain.

• For me, the peppermint oil tablets provided some 'instant' relief (which may simply have been the placebo effect)

Longer term, breathing exercises, visualising my guts un-knotting and CBT style mental exercises helped.

Basically my stomach will tell me the 'truth' about my stress levels, so I've learned to listen to it and take action

• Cbt can work for some people as it works on the anxiety that causes the ibs which is great, I tried this myself but I found no benefit from Cbt, logically it made sense but I couldn't handle the stress of going! 

I do use some of the techniques but I really don't find they work that well for me, l know others really benefit from it though 

• There was an interesting news item quite recently about people with IBS and other painful conditions benefitting more from CBT than from taking tablets.

• As original prankster has said anxiety can cause ibs, I have had this issue for years the more stressed and anxious I get the worse the ibs gets, then I get anxious about that and end up going round in circles! 

Working on the anxiety or stress is likely to help, think I might look in to the mint capsules that op suggested!

• I used to get stomach pains - cramps and bloating - from  IBS which is largely anxiety based.

I found Colpermin capsules (mint oil) really helped but the key is to find a way to reduce your anxiety