Finally assessed

Hi all, long time no speak.

Finally had my assessment a couple of weeks ago. I do indeed have an ASD of the Asperger's type.

I was so relieved. It gave validation to me.

The journey was long. But now I'm kind of falling flat. Like the journey is more important than the destination. 

In a kind of strange place now. All the pieces are in flux and I'm trying to put it all together.

Feeling more isolated than ever now. So much to discuss but no one to talk to.

I'm looking for commonality amongst others, or different even perspectives.

Any advice welcome.

• I’m glad that you finally got your diagnosis and validation. It is odd trying to piece together the jigsaw post diagnosis, it can take a while to come to terms with things. I got diagnosed last December and I’m pretty ok with it now actually. You’re not isolated, you are now part of a tribe :-) Hopefully you find that talking with other members on here can provide you with support and friendship.

I got this book the other day, just to see if there was anything useful in it:

An Adult with an Autism Diagnosis - A Guide for the Newly Diagnosed. By Gillan Drew.

I don’t know if it’s any good yet but the reviews were good.

Good luck with adjusting to your diagnosis.

• Welcome...

In the few months I've been here I have to say the same themes come up time after time - the questions I asked when I was going through assessment and after I got my diagnosis, the way I felt about the diagnosis...

There has been so much good advice given, but it gets lost on this antiquated forum - what it really needs is a 'blog' style section where useful information can be stored and easily found.

Or some way to 'pin' well-received replies so that people can find them.

In that vein, these are a couple of useful blogs:

Spectra Blog

The Autistic Advocate

This book was also helpful to me:

Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder): How Seeking a Diagnosis in Adulthood Can Change Your Life

In addition, there's a lot of personal experience here you can tap into...

• I have just been diagnosed too. Although they say I'm 'moderate' which I didn't expect. But I think it's because I sometimes become non-verbal and have a history of self harmful behaviours during 'meltdowns' 

And though it's long been suspected I am finding myself in and out of acceptance of the diagnosis. Even though previously I had thought I had accepted that I probably did have autism. 

• I think there's often a reluctance for MH professionals  to consider that someone might be on the spectrum, as behaviours/symptoms are seen  to be due to any mental health issues. It took 43 years for a psychiatrist to consider there might be  more going on with me  than mental illness .

• Feeling more isolated than ever now. So much to discuss but no one to talk to.

You are in the right place. There are quite a few people here who are in the process or recently diagnosed, so there a loads of people who might share the journey with you Slight smile

As NAS51133 says, do also share what support you think might be helpful.

• NAS is really geared towards helping parents with autistic children. There is a small group of us from this forum who are currently working on a project to create a better support network for "high functioning" autistic people. One thing that would be particularly helpful, for some people, is to have a dedicated "buddy" who they can go to for advice etc. If you have any ideas on what services you think would be useful either pre, during or post diagnosis, we're eager to hear about it. We're still in the early stages of putting this together so all ideas are welcome :) 

• It’s so frustrating to be diagnosed as I was at 62 and be in the same position as a lot of other people on the Spectrum with a lack of someone to talk to      There seems to be a long way to go with ASD post diagnosis help 

• No advice as I'm in the same position. 

I feel in shock as it was only 4 days ago and I was expecting to be told that I wasn't on the spectrum as other mental health professionals had told me I wasn't.  

I'm 67 by the way.

• It can take a long time to come to terms with a diagnosis even if it was what you had been expecting / hoping for. It's just another part of the journey rather than the destination. There is seemingly a lack of support offered for "high functioning" diagnosed adults who appear to be coping, until they reach crisis point. If you ever want to talk / discuss things, people on here are happy to advise etc, many have been through the diagnostic process themselves. Ask anything you like, it's easier than trying to cope on your own. 

• Like the journey is more important than the destination. 

Yes.  I don't  know my diagnosis yet but whatever it is I know I am not Neuro Typical. Without a doubt. I feel much better already. Knowledge is power.