Examples of Repetitive Behaviours / Insistence on Sameness that led to a positive diagnosis

Hi all,

I'm still digging around trying to understand what sorts of things are counted as meeting threshold for RRBs / IS in an autism diagnosis. Please note that I don't intend to fake any at my upcoming ADOS! What I'm after is some examples that allow me to settle the question in my mind that wonders if my clinical interview missed RRBs / IS that I *do* have, but aren't the stereotypical "obvious" ones.

I don't want a positive diagnosis if I'm not genuinely ASD, but neither do I want a negative diagnosis if I *am*.

Apart from the minor success I've had in discovering the RBQ2a, I'm drawing a blank in my internet based research.

Parents
  • After following your story I decided I would keep a document of all my traits ready for when I get my referral back, so far it's 12 pages... I have a section for routines/repetitive behaviours. I'll list some of the things I've put for myself and hope that it helps you see some things in yourself that you previously may not have considered:

• I have the same morning routine (exactly the same). If interrupted by the kids for example, I WILL forget things like my wallet or even my lunch or parts of my routine like spraying aftershave. This puts me in a mood for the day.
    • I notice the same cars at the same point by the reg numbers on the drive to and from work.
    • Hate new situations/going to new places outside of my routine. I over-prepare. E.G plan the route using google maps and will literally use the street view feature to do the whole journey, numerous times to familiarise myself.
    • Hate people turning up to my house unexpected and my usual environment is interrupted. I become mute and withdrawn and can appear very rude.
    • On weekends where there is a lack of a routine I often get overwhelmed and need a period of down time.
    • I go to the same hairdressers because a family friend works there and I feel comfortable. Even though I've moved away from my home town and it's quite out the way to do this now.
    • I listen to the same music and bands I have since I was a young teenager and can listen to the same song on repeat without getting bored.
    • If an item in the house is moved I cannot adapt. For example if the plates were moved to a different cupboard in the kitchen I'd always go to the old cupboard.
    • Breaking routine means I lose things or forget things.
    • I tap my side pocket and back pocket periodically to ensure my phone and wallet are still there.
    • I organise things on my desk at perpendicular and 45 degree angles and will adjust things to the most minute detail.
    • I constantly check banking apps even when I know no activity has taken place.
    • I constantly check the met office weather app and track rain with the 'last 6 hours' feature. I often do this to predict when the rain will actually hit rather than relying on the forecast!
    • I constantly mess and fidget with my hands. I cannot stop twirling my beard.
    • I rock backwards and forwards, side to side or pace when feeling uneasy.
    • Physical and vocal tics
    • Wear the same old clothes and have the same type of trainers in different variations (for me it's hi-top converse!)
    • I eat the same thing at lunch at the same time in the same order everyday.

It's not always the behaviour but consider when your usual situations are interrupted and the effect it has on you. Like when people turn up uninvited. That's clearly not a repetitive behaviour for yourself but your usual, comfortable routine at home is interrupted and there is a mental consequence.

Hope that helps Slight smile

• After following your story I decided I would keep a document of all my traits ready for when I get my referral back, so far it's 12 pages... I have a section for routines/repetitive behaviours. I'll list some of the things I've put for myself and hope that it helps you see some things in yourself that you previously may not have considered:

• I have the same morning routine (exactly the same). If interrupted by the kids for example, I WILL forget things like my wallet or even my lunch or parts of my routine like spraying aftershave. This puts me in a mood for the day.
    • I notice the same cars at the same point by the reg numbers on the drive to and from work.
    • Hate new situations/going to new places outside of my routine. I over-prepare. E.G plan the route using google maps and will literally use the street view feature to do the whole journey, numerous times to familiarise myself.
    • Hate people turning up to my house unexpected and my usual environment is interrupted. I become mute and withdrawn and can appear very rude.
    • On weekends where there is a lack of a routine I often get overwhelmed and need a period of down time.
    • I go to the same hairdressers because a family friend works there and I feel comfortable. Even though I've moved away from my home town and it's quite out the way to do this now.
    • I listen to the same music and bands I have since I was a young teenager and can listen to the same song on repeat without getting bored.
    • If an item in the house is moved I cannot adapt. For example if the plates were moved to a different cupboard in the kitchen I'd always go to the old cupboard.
    • Breaking routine means I lose things or forget things.
    • I tap my side pocket and back pocket periodically to ensure my phone and wallet are still there.
    • I organise things on my desk at perpendicular and 45 degree angles and will adjust things to the most minute detail.
    • I constantly check banking apps even when I know no activity has taken place.
    • I constantly check the met office weather app and track rain with the 'last 6 hours' feature. I often do this to predict when the rain will actually hit rather than relying on the forecast!
    • I constantly mess and fidget with my hands. I cannot stop twirling my beard.
    • I rock backwards and forwards, side to side or pace when feeling uneasy.
    • Physical and vocal tics
    • Wear the same old clothes and have the same type of trainers in different variations (for me it's hi-top converse!)
    • I eat the same thing at lunch at the same time in the same order everyday.

It's not always the behaviour but consider when your usual situations are interrupted and the effect it has on you. Like when people turn up uninvited. That's clearly not a repetitive behaviour for yourself but your usual, comfortable routine at home is interrupted and there is a mental consequence.

Hope that helps Slight smile

Children
  • Thank you! So many of these I'm nodding to. I've been struggling with where stuff is kept in our house after my wife swapped things round about 3 months ago. It's taking *soooo* long to adjust!

Am I right that you don't have a DX yet? You're waiting for an appointment?

• YEP: I have the same morning routine (exactly the same). If interrupted by the kids for example, I WILL forget things like my wallet or even my lunch or parts of my routine like spraying aftershave. This puts me in a mood for the day.
    • YEP: I notice the same cars at the same point by the reg numbers on the drive to and from work.
    • YEP: Hate new situations/going to new places outside of my routine. I over-prepare. E.G plan the route using google maps and will literally use the street view feature to do the whole journey, numerous times to familiarise myself.
    • YEP: Hate people turning up to my house unexpected and my usual environment is interrupted. I become mute and withdrawn and can appear very rude.
    • NO/YEP - I just have down time all weekend :-). On weekends where there is a lack of a routine I often get overwhelmed and need a period of down time.
    • YEP. Once tried another because mine was busy - flummoxed & awkward & ended up not staying. I've given up with barbers again & do my own hair. I go to the same hairdressers because a family friend works there and I feel comfortable. Even though I've moved away from my home town and it's quite out the way to do this now.
    • YEP: I listen to the same music and bands I have since I was a young teenager and can listen to the same song on repeat without getting bored.
    • YEP YEP YEP!: If an item in the house is moved I cannot adapt. For example if the plates were moved to a different cupboard in the kitchen I'd always go to the old cupboard.
    • YEP: Breaking routine means I lose things or forget things.
    • I would if that's where I kept it! Keys and Phone though YEP: I tap my side pocket and back pocket periodically to ensure my phone and wallet are still there.
    • YEP: I organise things on my desk at perpendicular and 45 degree angles and will adjust things to the most minute detail.
    • OMG! YEP: I constantly check banking apps even when I know no activity has taken place.
    • No - CBA :-) I constantly check the met office weather app and track rain with the 'last 6 hours' feature. I often do this to predict when the rain will actually hit rather than relying on the forecast!
    • YEP, YEP. I constantly mess and fidget with my hands. I cannot stop twirling my beard.
    • No - but I rub my leg / squeeze my leg / bounce my leg(s) / rub my chest. I rock backwards and forwards, side to side or pace when feeling uneasy.
    • I think so - grunting and snorting for e.g. especially under stress. Physical and vocal tics
    • YEP, YEP, YEP. Wear the same old clothes and have the same type of trainers in different variations (for me it's hi-top converse!)
    • YEP, YEP, YEP!!!! I eat the same thing at lunch at the same time in the same order everyday.