Disclosing potential ASD diagnosis at work

Hello all. I’m new here and hoped someone may be able to help me, or whether anyone has experience with this. I have searched the forum but couldn’t find anything quite like the issue I have. 

I have been in continuous employment at one company for the last 7 years. I am a female in my 30s. 

I am currently going through the autism diagnostic process with the NHS. I have completed Stage 1 and have been invited back for Stage 2, though I don’t have a date for this yet. 

I do intend to tell work if a diagnosis is confirmed, however something has come up and I may need to disclose this earlier than anticipated. 

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? Is it worth telling them even though I don’t know if it will be confirmed?

Parents Reply Children
  • I will have a look. 

That’s correct. I don’t want to tell them in case it turns out to be negative. 

I wanted advice about disclosing before getting a diagnosis as the company is making some redundancies and if they look at how awkward I can be with other people, and the various staff members I have had problems with, it will make it more likely that it will be me leaving the team. 

I think I do have positives as well but I guess my thoughts are usually negative!