Failed autism test...

But I have major communication problems and when I watch videos of people with autism speaking about their communication problems it hits home with me, a video I watched yesterday even made me realise why I always pull my phone out to play with/look at when I'm speaking in appointments etc. Never understood why I done that but now I realised it kinda helps me speak a little better.

I have no light/sound sensitivity or anything like that, only the communication problems. They say it's down to social anxiety but I'm not sure.

Is it possible to be autistic with only communication problems?

I failed the test and the psychiatrist said it's just anxiety.... but I don't understand how anxiety can cripple your communication skills as badly as mine every day in life

Parents
  • While it's very likely that you share symptoms with autistic people that doesn't mean you're autistic. Work with the psychiatrist, ask them to help you understand and improve the underlying challenges behind your communication problems.

Finding out it's not autism isn't a bad thing at all. While it would be great to be able to specifically identify the root cause you do now at least know something that can be eliminated and focus efforts and attention where it might be more helpful.

• While it's very likely that you share symptoms with autistic people that doesn't mean you're autistic. Work with the psychiatrist, ask them to help you understand and improve the underlying challenges behind your communication problems.

Finding out it's not autism isn't a bad thing at all. While it would be great to be able to specifically identify the root cause you do now at least know something that can be eliminated and focus efforts and attention where it might be more helpful.

Children
No Data