Is there an overlap between Asperger's and ADD?

I was diagnosed with Asperger's about 17 years ago. Sometimes I notice ADD traits in myself.

I've got 4 books on the go at once, it's rare for me to focus on one thing.

When I'm online I'll have about 25 tabs open at the same time. I struggle to remember what I'm interested in or doing because I keep thinking of something else I want to do. That's why all the tabs are open, to remind me of things I've been doing or reading about.

Would this indicate I should seek a diagnosis of ADD or is it a standard overlap that many people experience?

Parents
  • Although medication is first line action with ADHD, it's only one option going forward.  10% of ADHDers don't respond to medication treatment, and another 10% can't tolerate the side effects (I seem to be one of the former).  Meds are helpful in order to help put into place non-med support (eg meditation, diet, exercise etc) but not obligatory.  

I think it's always worth seeking a diagnosis, if only to confirm/refute your own suspicions.  The hyperactivity side can present as chattiness (espec in, but not limited to, females), interrupting others, a racing mind and general restlessness.  Important to recognise that the hyperactive element is also covered by impulsivity.  I know several people with ADHD who would never be recognised as having the condition - but are diagnosed with it.  

I'd ignore most other people's comments: the general public have a very skewed idea of what ADHD looks like, based on the outdated stereotype of a 7-year-old boy bouncing off the classroom walls.  And the majority of GPs are barely any better informed.

If you're interested in seeking a diagnosis, then go for it.  Try ADDitude - an American website but hugely informative and insightful, nonetheless.  Otherwise, AADD-UK (the facebook page, not the website) is supremely helpful.  Good luck!

• Although medication is first line action with ADHD, it's only one option going forward.  10% of ADHDers don't respond to medication treatment, and another 10% can't tolerate the side effects (I seem to be one of the former).  Meds are helpful in order to help put into place non-med support (eg meditation, diet, exercise etc) but not obligatory.  

I think it's always worth seeking a diagnosis, if only to confirm/refute your own suspicions.  The hyperactivity side can present as chattiness (espec in, but not limited to, females), interrupting others, a racing mind and general restlessness.  Important to recognise that the hyperactive element is also covered by impulsivity.  I know several people with ADHD who would never be recognised as having the condition - but are diagnosed with it.  

I'd ignore most other people's comments: the general public have a very skewed idea of what ADHD looks like, based on the outdated stereotype of a 7-year-old boy bouncing off the classroom walls.  And the majority of GPs are barely any better informed.

If you're interested in seeking a diagnosis, then go for it.  Try ADDitude - an American website but hugely informative and insightful, nonetheless.  Otherwise, AADD-UK (the facebook page, not the website) is supremely helpful.  Good luck!

Children
No Data