Advice for woman wanting to talk to a professional about diagnosis?

Hi, I'm new here. 

I would just like to ask if anyone has advice on where I could find someone professional to talk to about the likelihood of an autism diagnosis. I have been driving myself crazy for the last 6 months researching about autism and whether I am or am not autistic, and I just keep going round in circles.

I'm worried that I might just be making this all up in my head, so instead of going for a very expensive autism diagnosis straight off I wondered if anyone could recommend someone I could just explore the idea with first.  I live in Scotland, but would be willing to travel or maybe even do an online session if anyone can recommend anyone good.  I'm looking for someone who has good experience of women with autism, as I work very hard to act "normal", and have been quite successful at this.  I think a lot of people would just dismiss me because I can make eye contact (mostly) and conversation.

I just had a very disappointing appointment with a psychiatrist today and I think I really need to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about (when I mentioned autism she said that the thought had crossed her mind while talking to me, but that it wasn't her area of expertise, and that she didn't think that being autistic would explain my recurrent periods of severe depression or my "emotional disregulation" (meltdowns?)  when I think it is a very plausible explanation for both!)

Sorry for rambling but when I started to feel like she wasn't listening to me and just wanted to put me on more drugs I had a mini "emotional disregulation" in her office and ended up crying hysterically for an hour, and now my brain is like jelly so I might not be making sense here.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer!

GuineaPig

Parents
  • Hi, 

I'm not sure I can be much help but If you are planning on paying for private diagnosis then alot of places offer a "screening"  service that gives you an indication of whether or not you should pursue a full assessment. 

These vary in price I know that the lorna wing centre starts at £200 it may be worth talking to them before hand to see what they recommend. And at least they are understanding autism in women 

• Hi, 

I'm not sure I can be much help but If you are planning on paying for private diagnosis then alot of places offer a "screening"  service that gives you an indication of whether or not you should pursue a full assessment. 

These vary in price I know that the lorna wing centre starts at £200 it may be worth talking to them before hand to see what they recommend. And at least they are understanding autism in women 

Children
No Data