Audio Processing disorder?

Hi everyone im new here.
I was diagnosed with autism only a week ago aged 32, and my son is 7 and has autism and was diagnosed aged 3.
Anyway, throughout my life we have always known my mother has APD (Audio processing disorder) which basically means that even when she hears what youre saying (which is rare as she is almost completely deaf now) it seems to take the brain extra time to process the words, it just sounds like gobbledygook.
I quickly realised i have it too, people can talk directly at me and it just sounds like an alien language, then a few seconds after it'll finally click in my brain.
This often means someone will say something, and i'll ask them to repeat it, then halfway through them repeating it, it'll click in my brain from the first time.
It also means i rely more of lip reading than i do on the sounds, which means that i always like people to speak facing me. Meeting new people can be a nightmare too, with their new, different speaking patterns it can take me time to get used to their speech patterns, so i will often just look confused the whole time.
Since being diagnosed as on the spectrum my partner suggested maybe the APD could be linked to my Autism. She works with autistic children herself and pointed out that autism is a difference in processing, so that the APD could be caused by my ASD.
Does anyone have this issue?
Could they both be linked?

Thanks

Parents
  • This often means someone will say something, and i'll ask them to repeat it, then halfway through them repeating it, it'll click in my brain from the first time

I can relate to this, but thought that many people experienced it. Maybe not.

What I do know is that I struggle to process spoken words in the presence of chaotic background noise or other conversations, and I've heard that there's a neurological reason for this in that people with autism use a single area of brain to process both voice and noise where non-autistic people have dedicated areas for each. I don't have a reference for this though (I need to find one!).

I can relate to needing time to process spoken words for sure.

• It often does feel like I'm using just one area of the brain and allowing too much input to run through it for comfort.

An additional problem with restricted mental throughput is that there are apparently some 200 different schools of psychotherapy. Without mentioning any names (because they all seem genuine enough), each one of these schools has its own way to describe and label that which WE experience. I am just a bit cheesed off with people who think that it is better to call the problem caetextia (for instance), as in context blindness. Especially as they mostly seem to be barking up roughly the same tree as the rest of us; but appear to have a need to impose yet another new label (rather than refining an existing one). Maybe caetextia is a better label; but it just seems to add to the confusion. Totally overloaded by it all, I am! ;-) And when they start wittering on about brain-sidedness, things really do get a bit fraught. I spent some hours last night reading a chapter about left-handed and right-handed caetextia. My conclusion in the end was that I probably experience some of both, at different times. At least clinicians like Tony Attwood have the commonsense to talk mainly about the multiple manifestations, without too much time spent on their own latest pet theory. One day, scanning might be able to locate the brain areas in use for each activity, but there are so many different manifestations that all muddle along together, they are inevitably going to be super difficult to unravel all the knots. Until that time, could all these schools of psychotherapy make some effort not to constantly relabel every term, just for the sake of looking more logical than their rivals.

I should also say that I find most of the posts on this forum very constructive, as most tend NOT to generalise their own experience to everyone. As the saying goes, when you have met one person on the spectrum, you have met one only. (There is undoubtedly something here, many could relate to their own experience :-)

• It often does feel like I'm using just one area of the brain and allowing too much input to run through it for comfort.

An additional problem with restricted mental throughput is that there are apparently some 200 different schools of psychotherapy. Without mentioning any names (because they all seem genuine enough), each one of these schools has its own way to describe and label that which WE experience. I am just a bit cheesed off with people who think that it is better to call the problem caetextia (for instance), as in context blindness. Especially as they mostly seem to be barking up roughly the same tree as the rest of us; but appear to have a need to impose yet another new label (rather than refining an existing one). Maybe caetextia is a better label; but it just seems to add to the confusion. Totally overloaded by it all, I am! ;-) And when they start wittering on about brain-sidedness, things really do get a bit fraught. I spent some hours last night reading a chapter about left-handed and right-handed caetextia. My conclusion in the end was that I probably experience some of both, at different times. At least clinicians like Tony Attwood have the commonsense to talk mainly about the multiple manifestations, without too much time spent on their own latest pet theory. One day, scanning might be able to locate the brain areas in use for each activity, but there are so many different manifestations that all muddle along together, they are inevitably going to be super difficult to unravel all the knots. Until that time, could all these schools of psychotherapy make some effort not to constantly relabel every term, just for the sake of looking more logical than their rivals.

I should also say that I find most of the posts on this forum very constructive, as most tend NOT to generalise their own experience to everyone. As the saying goes, when you have met one person on the spectrum, you have met one only. (There is undoubtedly something here, many could relate to their own experience :-)

Children
No Data