Assessment - questionnaire for parent/relative?

I had the first part of my assessment today. I don't really have anyone that I would like to take along to the second part or ask for their input, but is there a questionnaire for parents or relatives that is often used that I can download/read somewhere? I can't tell my mum that I'm doing this assessment but I am wondering if I can ask her some questions without disclosing what it's for. But I don't know which questions.

I'm quite stressed about the whole thing and keep switching between thinking I am wasting their time, I am not autistic, and thinking this would explain so much. But then I think of things that I did as a child that are not stereotypically autistic and then I think I must be wrong.

Parents
  • Hi. I had the same problem with you. I wanted to keep the assessment private from my parents. So I filled out the parent/relative questionnaire myself based on my memories. I told the assessor that I filled it myself based on my memories and imagining how I would answer if I were my parents would answer those questions. He was fine with it. We talked about my childhood during the final assessment. He seemed to think that mine was a clear case despite I wasn't able to provide a parent to fill in the forms. It was noted in the diagnostic report that I filled in this questionnaire myself. You could ask your assessor if you could do the same thing, or still have an assessment without the questionnaire (for mine, that questionnaire was actually optional). If you read the posts on this forum, there are actually lots of people who didn't have parental input for their assessment, either due to their parents being old aged or deceased, or due to wanting to have the assessment kept private from family. It may be harder to guarantee a diagnostic conclusion without sufficient information though. I think what had been useful would be to provide a personal history for the assessor to read. Lots of people on this forum have recommended this. It also seems more personal and informative than a few yes/no questions on a questionnaire. As your personal history can cover things not mentioned on the questionnaire.

• Thank you. Do you remember what questionnaire it was? The assessors didn't really push for it but I think they would prefer some input from someone who knew me as a child. I don't have very many memories so it's not that easy for me to answer certain questions. But I would love to see the questionnaire you used so I can either fill it in myself or see if I can extract some information from my mum...

• Thank you. Do you remember what questionnaire it was? The assessors didn't really push for it but I think they would prefer some input from someone who knew me as a child. I don't have very many memories so it's not that easy for me to answer certain questions. But I would love to see the questionnaire you used so I can either fill it in myself or see if I can extract some information from my mum...

Children
  • I don't know if firemonkey and I are talking about the same questionnaire. Mine was a relative's questionnaire, most questions were about my behaviours when I was a child between 4-10 years old, though there were a few questions that were about younger ages. I didn't download it, but it was sent to me by mail, along with all the other questionnaires I was asked to fill in before the assessment.