Are you good at identifying emotions/feelings within yourself?

Example 1: At my last psych appointment the pdoc said I looked happy. I didn't think I was.

Example 2: Was recently seen at main hospital emergency department  because of chest pains. Tests were ok, but BP was higher than normal . Had to go for follow up the next day . Doctor said it had been  raised because I was anxious. Apparently my pulse rate was fast.  I hadn't noticed I was anxious.

I don't think it happens all the time ie I sometimes know when I'm anxious etc .

Parents
  • Hi Firemonkey. I have a HUGE problem recognising my emotions until I reach overload state. And I also feel emotions on a sort of delayed reaction. So I can deal with something quite extreme going on and appear calm and in control, but it hits me later. 

When my emotions DO kick in I often go overboard, quite a while after the actual event or insult. I am working on this at present. Identifying emotions, where they belong on a scale or wheel of intensity, then identifying what my actual feelings are. 

I’m the opposite of you though in that I can be really happy, then some stranger says “Cheer up, it may never happen!” I just respond “It already has!” mainly to stop the conversation. 

• My dad has a delayed emotional reaction as you mention above. Holds it together at the time and is very practically minded(knows what practical steps to take) then has an emotional 'wobble' a while after the situation has resolved. 

Interesting if the stressor is social (issues with boss) the same can not be said and this has kicked his anxiety into high gear. 

• My dad has a delayed emotional reaction as you mention above. Holds it together at the time and is very practically minded(knows what practical steps to take) then has an emotional 'wobble' a while after the situation has resolved. 

Interesting if the stressor is social (issues with boss) the same can not be said and this has kicked his anxiety into high gear. 

Children
No Data