Are you good at identifying emotions/feelings within yourself?

Example 1: At my last psych appointment the pdoc said I looked happy. I didn't think I was.

Example 2: Was recently seen at main hospital emergency department  because of chest pains. Tests were ok, but BP was higher than normal . Had to go for follow up the next day . Doctor said it had been  raised because I was anxious. Apparently my pulse rate was fast.  I hadn't noticed I was anxious.

I don't think it happens all the time ie I sometimes know when I'm anxious etc .

Parents
  • I used to think so but over the last year or two I've learned that I was wrong, so no.

I know that one reason that I became overstressed is down to the fact that I don't notice viscerally - I need to observe my behaviour. Likewise if I'm jumping round the lounge playing with our dogs, I often think "I must be happy".

"Alexithymia" seems to describe this accurately for me.

• I used to think so but over the last year or two I've learned that I was wrong, so no.

I know that one reason that I became overstressed is down to the fact that I don't notice viscerally - I need to observe my behaviour. Likewise if I'm jumping round the lounge playing with our dogs, I often think "I must be happy".

"Alexithymia" seems to describe this accurately for me.

Children