question about disclosing at work

I was wondering if anyone might have any experiences (either positive or negative) disclosing ASD to your boss/supervisor/line manager who is from the older generation?

Asperger Syndrome wasn't discovered until the mid-1900s, and wasn't really known of by most people until maybe the past 20 years or so. So it seems plausible that some people who are from an older generation might not have heard of ASD or know much about it. And because of this, it seems quite scary to tell a boss/supervisor/line manager who is in their 60s-70s that you have ASD, because it's something that didn't really exist in their time, so there's the worry that they might not believe it. I don't know if this kind of worry makes sense. I'm afraid they might just think you're not "trying hard enough" with the social stuff, rather than it's due to autism.

Parents
  • I declared after a diagnosis in my late 40s. I've always had work based struggles that are clearly linked to being Autistic and unaware of it. Have been treated for depression / anxiety (which I declared on applying) for decades.

Had to fight for an occupational health referral. Reasonable adjustments were agreed, but not followed properly.

Currently in the midst of a disability discrimination grievance as a consequence.

I think a positive / negative experience of disclosing really depends on the manager / workplace.

• I declared after a diagnosis in my late 40s. I've always had work based struggles that are clearly linked to being Autistic and unaware of it. Have been treated for depression / anxiety (which I declared on applying) for decades.

Had to fight for an occupational health referral. Reasonable adjustments were agreed, but not followed properly.

Currently in the midst of a disability discrimination grievance as a consequence.

I think a positive / negative experience of disclosing really depends on the manager / workplace.

Children
No Data