Can autistic adults lie convincingly?

I decided to delete the content. Thanks for the comments.

• I can take it a step further - I don't do secrets either. 

I'm closer to Mr Data than most people realise.

I prefer people not to tell me a secret as I cannot guarantee its security. 

All data in my head is data.  It's like a huge array of facts & figures.   Having to annotate all my knowledge with an additional layer or little tags of who that data is available to is not sensible. Especially if I judge that different people would probably need access to that data.

It would cause conflict within the database when half of some facts are available to a person but other bits aren't - it's an extra layer of social interaction processing that I just don't have the bandwidth for.

For example, I had a manager tell me off for telling a superior manager what I was doing when he asked me.  The other manager was stretching his authority and using me gather data for something he wasn't supposed to be doing. 

That gives me a serious conflict - who is in the wrong?   Me?  The manager?  

This is in a company that claims to be 'open management' and 'doors are always open'.  BS.  It's all politics and one-upmanship. 

Leave me out of your petty little games.

• You got a point there. When I detect lies, I better not interact with them. What's the point when you can't even trust a thing they say. 

• Yep @neekby - I don't 99% of the time, partly it wouldn't occur to me but if it did I'd think it's wrong. However, there is that 1% of the time when I realise that the 'correct' answer isn't "Yeah boss sir, I slept badly, I did wake up with just enough time to get to work but I felt like hell and decided to have some toast and tea first and blame it on the transport system". Oddly though, if I try to lie about what I actually think about something just to avoid annoying an aunt unnecessarily or something, apparently I look at best patronising and at worst like Uriah Heep so I've learned to just go ahead and annoy the aunt with the truth rather than a poorly-delivered lie.

•  I decided that I'd go with my gut feeling. Thanks for all the comments.

• I can tell small white lies, but I cannot lie convincingly.  So if a manager asks me if I can work an extra hour this evening, I simply have to say 'No, sorry' and not offer an explanation as to why.  But if someone should text or email me to ask if I'm available for a meet up and I don't want to go, I'll make an excuse.

There's a difference, though, between small matters like this - or simply elaborating a story - and telling an outright whopping lie.  So if I made a mistake and it caused a problem, I certainly couldn't wheedle my way out of it by, for instance, trying to blame someone else.  I'd have to own up.

I'm not good at picking up on body language, but I can usually tell if someone is telling me a lie.  And I know that I'd never get away with it.

And, quite 'honestly' (!), I simply don't like lying, or liars.  Again, I don't mean small matters.  I mean people who lie deliberately to cover their tracks, or blame someone else, or to gain something that isn't rightfully theirs.

• Picking up on what said, I CAN lie I just DON'T (99% of the time) and like Former Member if I do lie no-one would spot it - but it would be a one-off, situation-specific lie - or more likely a skilful use of the truth but omission of certain facts which would allow the hearer to make a false assumption.

• I do not lie.  

I'm an engineer and my whole life is based around facts and accuracy. 

My instant recall of data would be a problem if I've sprinkled lies around in the past because I would be very likely to tell the truth to the same person the next time the subject came up.

I'd always shoot myself in the foot.

I'd much prefer to be seen as a transparent fool than a lying ****bag.

When I deal with people and I detect lies, I don't want to interact with them because I can't trust a thing they say.  I will then avoid them in the future.

• Be aware that, if someone takes things literally or as seen/told (without the concept of true/fake information/news) then they can repeat it as truth.  I suppose we can tell little lies too but it is not the normal for me.  I am way too open, honest, helpful, trusting and truthful which the NT's do not like.  They also struggle because I repeat what is told as truth which winds them up as well as get difficult with contradictions/ambiguity.

• I'm generally po faced truthful and usually it would never occur to me to lie. I get really miffed at the endless 'little white lies' NTs waffle because I'm prone to take them literally and feel a fool when I realise (and probably look a fool more often than I realise). However, if an occasion very clearly calls for a lie I can reel one off cool as a cucumber. I just need it clearly signposted as a situation where the truth is going to get me into trouble. My feeling is that lying is only morally reprehensible when intended to damage or distress any innocent human being. I'm just mostly too stupid to know when I'm supposed to lie Smiley  If you think your friend is intentionally decieving you then I'd give it a wide berth, if just 'bigging her or himself up' then it's boring but whatevs.

• Yes, definitely of course. we are all different and to be fair, most of us lie some of the time and in fact, in truth, most people are lying all of the time and they just don't know it. Maybe that's his thing. I have a good friend who's autistic and he lies all the time and that's cool with me. I like all people, it's not a problem to me. Not that I'm saying your friend is a problem to you, i'm just saying. So in answer to your question, yes autistic people can lie just as good as nt people can. I know I can and have, when I have needed to and sometimes I have, just for fun. I think people lie for all sorts of reasons.