26 and just been diagnosed.

Hi, I've never been on a forum before so not too sure how this works. I'm 26 years old and was diagnosed with Autism this week, I'm feeling totally confused and have no idea what to think or what I'm supposed to do now as I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder years ago so have always thought that was it, so this being a big change is a lot to get my head around and would really appreciate it if anyone has any advice for me on what to do now.

Thank you.

Parents
  • Hi there, and welcome.

I was misdiagnosed with a variety of conditions (including BPD) until I finally got the right diagnosis in 2015, at age 56.  That was autism, of course.

To be frank, the BPD diagnosis never really seemed to be right for me.  It didn't give me the answers that the autism diagnosis did.  When I got that, my life really started to make sense at last.  I didn't have a 'disorder'.  Instead, I had different brain wiring.  There was nothing wrong with me.  I simply had a different way of perceiving and responding to the world. 

What to do now?  Just try to accept it and move forwards with your life.  Try not to get too hung up on it all.  And just take it a step at a time.  Tell people if you feel like doing so.  If not, then don't.

Keep coming here. Keep reading what people write on here.  Keep talking.  

Give yourself time and space.  And try to look upon your diagnosis as a positive thing.  At last you have a proper explanation.  You can work your way forwards with that.

• Hi there, and welcome.

I was misdiagnosed with a variety of conditions (including BPD) until I finally got the right diagnosis in 2015, at age 56.  That was autism, of course.

To be frank, the BPD diagnosis never really seemed to be right for me.  It didn't give me the answers that the autism diagnosis did.  When I got that, my life really started to make sense at last.  I didn't have a 'disorder'.  Instead, I had different brain wiring.  There was nothing wrong with me.  I simply had a different way of perceiving and responding to the world. 

What to do now?  Just try to accept it and move forwards with your life.  Try not to get too hung up on it all.  And just take it a step at a time.  Tell people if you feel like doing so.  If not, then don't.

Keep coming here. Keep reading what people write on here.  Keep talking.  

Give yourself time and space.  And try to look upon your diagnosis as a positive thing.  At last you have a proper explanation.  You can work your way forwards with that.

Children
No Data