26 and just been diagnosed.

Hi, I've never been on a forum before so not too sure how this works. I'm 26 years old and was diagnosed with Autism this week, I'm feeling totally confused and have no idea what to think or what I'm supposed to do now as I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder years ago so have always thought that was it, so this being a big change is a lot to get my head around and would really appreciate it if anyone has any advice for me on what to do now.

Thank you.

• Hey there,

It can be a very confusing and unsettling time after a diagnosis. Remember the NAS helpline is always available to help answer any questions you may have on your diagnosis or just on autism in general. You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Or alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:
    https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Hope this helps, 

take care,

SteveMod 

• I'm a little older than you and have recently been diagnosed. It's hard to take in when your first diagnosed especially if you weren't expecting it.

My advice is take your time. Your going to be up and down for a while about your diagnosis. Read up on it. Theres plenty online and lots of books. Post any questions you have on here. People are really helpful and you quickly realise that others feel the same way you do and have similar behaviours etc.

Talk about it. If you don't have anyone you feel you can talk to about it then come on here. Post your feelings. 

Think about what you want to do now. Is this going to change things for you or is it a matter of adapt, accept and carry on? Do you work or anything like that?

• Greetings. I agree with Mr MartianTom, there. I Myself was late diagnosed (40-something), and was told to "contact NAS"... The best things for Myself turned out to be subscribing to "Aspergers United/Your Autism" Magazine, and then My joining this Forum. There are currently a lot of Autism-WhatToDoNow Threads active, but I am posting upon this one, now. 

26 Years old - Still so Young! Whatever happens, it is possible to 'get through it', so do not worry about that. Welcome to the Forum. Have a look around, and reply to whatever You fancy, or start a new Thread. As long as anyone is polite, then much can be said here, or "vented". Again as Mr.Tom says, I totally support that; You just keep on being Yourself yet with this 'new' insight. (Also, being Officially diagnosed gives access to extra services and support in LAW, so stating the diagnosis is helpful there. You need not tell everyone, but it is very useful at times.)

• Hi there, and welcome.

I was misdiagnosed with a variety of conditions (including BPD) until I finally got the right diagnosis in 2015, at age 56.  That was autism, of course.

To be frank, the BPD diagnosis never really seemed to be right for me.  It didn't give me the answers that the autism diagnosis did.  When I got that, my life really started to make sense at last.  I didn't have a 'disorder'.  Instead, I had different brain wiring.  There was nothing wrong with me.  I simply had a different way of perceiving and responding to the world. 

What to do now?  Just try to accept it and move forwards with your life.  Try not to get too hung up on it all.  And just take it a step at a time.  Tell people if you feel like doing so.  If not, then don't.

Keep coming here. Keep reading what people write on here.  Keep talking.  

Give yourself time and space.  And try to look upon your diagnosis as a positive thing.  At last you have a proper explanation.  You can work your way forwards with that.