Parents
  • Get this weird build up of emotions to my head. Stop being able to think straight. Usually end up doing one or more of the following: crying, shouting, swearing, completely shutting down.

Triggers: overload, change/unexpected, being shouted at or told off, people not listening to me.

It's often a combination of the above. And can be made worse by anxiety and tiredness.

The only solution is to take myself away and have some alone time. This can stop it being full blown but I probably still shut down a little. If someone else has upset me I tend to need to talk it through otherwise the feelings tend to remain even after alone time. I have to have had time to calm down first though.

Reply Children
  • I wasn't diagnosed when I first came here but I soon realised this was the right place for me to come to for help. People that understand and have similar experiences can give much better advice.

Ye I was really pleasantly surprised. My concentration is terrible so the idea of sitting and listening for 4 hours sounded like hell but it wasn't like that at all. And I did learn some things that I didn't actually know.

• I laughed reading this. Your brain definitely works like mine. I accidentally got a speeding ticket in the summer and my brain decided that meant I was going to lose my license and ruin my life. In reality, I was offered a speed awareness course and didn't even get any points.

It is good knowing you're not alone.

• I usually end up trying extremely hard not to cry. I hate crying in front of people.

Yes I'm terrible for dwelling on things. I'm not good at talking but generally my meltdowns happen at work and they are pretty good at talking me through it without expecting me to say much. I work in an SEN school so melt downs aren't exactly a rarity.

If someone doesn't talk me through I go home and worry and worry and usually decide that I'm going to get sacked the next day. This has never been suggested but my brain likes worst case scenarios.