Negative Body Image and Autism

https://kirstenlindsmith.wordpress.com/2018/08/27/body-image-and-autism/

Please see attached its an article about body image and ASC. i have a terrible body image always have but espescially my face apparently its quite common for body dysmorphia and ASDs to occur together. I'm actually following on from what trainspotter said in his thread about not liking to look in the mirror.

Any thoughts, experiences?

Parents
  • Yeah

Im a woman who dons the hijab 

And theres this 'hijabista' like modern phenomena where shes like u know be like wearing tonnes of makeup ,supercurves showin all over the place ,shes probably stick -legs too in those tight jeans

And obviously i just cant live up to that look 

You know? 

Partly cuz well i dont look much (or say even close)  to that image-no matter how hard i try to

And partly, cuz that hijab phenomana doesnt realy go with our religion ,actually. Like muslims KNOW that yeah its beautiful so yeah IF we luckily got the looks yeah we take that. But religious wise - our religion doesnt really approve of that "extravagance" so ...

its as bad as super skinny models making u feel like so bad about the way you look 

Only

They have religion supposively

So its like

Damn ill never win.

So 

As a musllim woman in my hijab i feel like when i put it on like.. im a hag or like some nasty old fat woman who just doesnt know her style

And people point it out

So i just wanna know

I love me 

My religion

Feeling bad about me cuza them- aint about me and whats wrong with me

It about them

And not letting them hurt you cuz of you

Anyone agree with me,Sarah? 

• I don't know, I don't want to be controversial but do think your post deserves a reply. I wore a chaddour when I lived in Iran and it's really nice as an AS person to 'disappear' in public - but then again I don't like to be obliged to wear a garment that pins me to a particular gender. I also don't like the assumption (shared with Catholicism) that women are responsible for the sexual morality of men. On the other hand, I agree with you that pushing women to conform to a barely attainable body shape in skimpy clothing is a terrible pressure and women should have something better to do than obsess about clothes and makeup. And these contradictions will stand until we achieve gender equality (or better still get rid of it altogether).

• I don't know, I don't want to be controversial but do think your post deserves a reply. I wore a chaddour when I lived in Iran and it's really nice as an AS person to 'disappear' in public - but then again I don't like to be obliged to wear a garment that pins me to a particular gender. I also don't like the assumption (shared with Catholicism) that women are responsible for the sexual morality of men. On the other hand, I agree with you that pushing women to conform to a barely attainable body shape in skimpy clothing is a terrible pressure and women should have something better to do than obsess about clothes and makeup. And these contradictions will stand until we achieve gender equality (or better still get rid of it altogether).

Children
No Data