Negative Body Image and Autism

https://kirstenlindsmith.wordpress.com/2018/08/27/body-image-and-autism/

Please see attached its an article about body image and ASC. i have a terrible body image always have but espescially my face apparently its quite common for body dysmorphia and ASDs to occur together. I'm actually following on from what trainspotter said in his thread about not liking to look in the mirror.

Any thoughts, experiences?

Parents
  • I have often thought as to why I don't like looking in a mirror and why that person looking back seems remote and detached.

And I think it is a lot like the Picture of Dorian Gray.

I feel the same as I always have, inside that is.  I am still as young as I was when I was fifteen.  I want to do the same things.  I feel the same things.

Yet even though, inwardly I haven't aged (in my mind's eye that is) that image in the mirror is aging.  There are creases here and there, my hair has changed colour (from a rich 'orange' colour to a 'strawberry blond') and my body has changed shape.  But I myself have not changed a bit!  The change is all in the mirror, which should be hidden away in the attic.  And the brutal truth would then also be hidden from me and I could carry on being the person I always was, unhindered by age.

• @Trainspotter Hahaha yes, I can totally relate to that -especially if I catch sight of myself in a mirror unexpectedly - the image of myself as I am now is *really* alien. Be great to live fast and stay pretty without the dying young Smiley

Reply Children
No Data