Does high intelligence necessarily mean high functioning?

I'm not sure that it does. My psychiatrists over the years and my sister have described me as very intelligent . However I have much lower non-verbal than verbal intelligence. I struggle with day to day practical tasks. I get quite a bit of help from my stepdaughter and someone who comes in twice a week to clean. The help is described in my care plan as enabling me to continue living independently in my flat.

Parents
  • I was diagnosed very recently and apparently DSMV doesnt use low and high functioning any more - they say you're either level 1 (needs support), level 2 ( needs substantial support) or level 3( needs very substantial support). That makes more sense to me. 

High functioning never really made sense to me either. In my case would that be describing tne person who (just about) manages to hold down a professional job. Or would that be the person who is then so tired they need to sleep most of the weekend, that is completely bewildered by the local shop changing the till layout, has put up with a loo seat that falls off for more than a year because they cant quite get it together to sort a new one (true story!). The person that cant sleep without their childhood teddy bear at the age of 40 something, or like you, descends into total chaos without someone else to clean the house!

• descends into total chaos without someone else to clean the house!

That's very much me. At my old address I was living in a mess. My stepdaughter would have a cleaning blitz the 2-3 times a year she saw me. Psych services knew how bad things were because they only came to flat once.  Since moving near my stepdaughter I have help with cleaning that my stepdaughter arranged.

• descends into total chaos without someone else to clean the house!

That's very much me. At my old address I was living in a mess. My stepdaughter would have a cleaning blitz the 2-3 times a year she saw me. Psych services knew how bad things were because they only came to flat once.  Since moving near my stepdaughter I have help with cleaning that my stepdaughter arranged.

Children
No Data