Does high intelligence necessarily mean high functioning?

I'm not sure that it does. My psychiatrists over the years and my sister have described me as very intelligent . However I have much lower non-verbal than verbal intelligence. I struggle with day to day practical tasks. I get quite a bit of help from my stepdaughter and someone who comes in twice a week to clean. The help is described in my care plan as enabling me to continue living independently in my flat.

Parents
  • Use of terms such as high and low functioning and mild and severe autism are not very helpful to those affected.

"High functioning" or what are considered to be 'mildly affected' individuals still have needs that need addressing.  So called 'Low functioning' or 'severely affected' individuals still have abilities that need recognising.  Someone non-verbal can be highly intelligent.  And someone who is able to do the most complicated algebra may have difficulties understanding nuances in speech and problems with social interraction.

Rather than try putting people into boxes we should respond to each person as an individual with respect for their needs and abilities.  To suggest, as my GP did, that someone who is in the autumn of his life does not need help is what really needs addressing with training for medical staff including GPs so they are aware of what exactly autism is and are made aware of the needs and abilities of those affected.

Someone once suggested intelligence was the quality that is tested by an intelligence test.  It has little to do with 'common sense' or ability to mix in a social group.  And I would imagine many of us who respond to this forum are very much in the higher 'intelligence' group, however we are affected by autism.

• Use of terms such as high and low functioning and mild and severe autism are not very helpful to those affected.

"High functioning" or what are considered to be 'mildly affected' individuals still have needs that need addressing.  So called 'Low functioning' or 'severely affected' individuals still have abilities that need recognising.  Someone non-verbal can be highly intelligent.  And someone who is able to do the most complicated algebra may have difficulties understanding nuances in speech and problems with social interraction.

Rather than try putting people into boxes we should respond to each person as an individual with respect for their needs and abilities.  To suggest, as my GP did, that someone who is in the autumn of his life does not need help is what really needs addressing with training for medical staff including GPs so they are aware of what exactly autism is and are made aware of the needs and abilities of those affected.

Someone once suggested intelligence was the quality that is tested by an intelligence test.  It has little to do with 'common sense' or ability to mix in a social group.  And I would imagine many of us who respond to this forum are very much in the higher 'intelligence' group, however we are affected by autism.

Children
No Data