processing diagnosis

Hi,

So I am not actually sure what I am looking for but I guess a bit of reassurance that what am feeling is normal.

I opted for a private diagnosis, I  had my initial assessment on Friday,  on the way to the appointment I was very anxious but during the appointment I was okay, the conclusion I had quite a few autistic traits and if a proceed to a  full diagnosis mostly on the spectrum.

Even though it was what I was hoping for, I finally have an answer to why I am the way I am, and that my struggles are real and normal for an autistic person.

I should be happy but am not (I was recovering from a burn out and doing much better) but I am starting to feeling down again, I guess from the realisation I am not gonna snap out of it maybe, not quite sure, but since that appointment feeling alittle lost, When I did not think it would effect me,

Parents
  • I haven't had my final assessment yet, but somehow I always imagined I will be sad if I do get a positive diagnosis. And there are so many reasons for it. Firstly, it will be a big change. Next, I will be sad that it took so long to get a diagnosis, and life would have been easier if I was diagnosed as a child. And furthermore, I would be having a lot of extra burden having to decide carefully to whom I disclose this information.

I think logically, getting a diagnosis wouldn't change anything about who you are, as it's just extra information. But it could have a large impact on how you feel for various reasons.

• I haven't had my final assessment yet, but somehow I always imagined I will be sad if I do get a positive diagnosis. And there are so many reasons for it. Firstly, it will be a big change. Next, I will be sad that it took so long to get a diagnosis, and life would have been easier if I was diagnosed as a child. And furthermore, I would be having a lot of extra burden having to decide carefully to whom I disclose this information.

I think logically, getting a diagnosis wouldn't change anything about who you are, as it's just extra information. But it could have a large impact on how you feel for various reasons.

Children
  • True I guess it is lot to process mentally, I was just naïve enough to think it wouldn't effect me other then in a positive way of finally understanding myself.

• Hi, I was diagnosis with A.S.D in September last year..Am still getting my head around it all as it took a hell of of a long time. to try and find out. if only i was diagnosis as a young child. but this was propl now much talk about back in the 70`s or 80`s then i would understand more and things might of turn out different. i just try to carry on as normal. ive got no one only family and i go to gym nearly everyday, just to get out of the flat. i am thinking of joining a group for A.S.D but am not so good with communicating only to the people around me and friends. i see