Are you an autistic teacher?

I would like to know if there are any autistic teachers here.

I would like to know...

How has autism had an impact on your teaching (in and out of the classroom ....positive and negative)

How has the job affected your autistic life? Im thinking here specifically in terms of the non-classroom elements of the job. For example how does the paperwork and planning affect you at home and your routines? How do you cope with the stresses of the job and a changing environment? How does it impact on your worklife balance as an autistic person? Do you have many meltdowns shutdowns or burnout episodes? Do you have any sensory problems at work such as information or social overload? How do you cope with these?

Why did you decide to take up the profession and did you know you were autistic before you started teaching?

What do you enjoy most about your job?

I am self-diagnosed and can relate to many aspects of autism throughout my life. Since self realisation i am able to use coping strategies  Im an adult tutor and currently this is the only teaching job ive had so i cant compare with other teaching roles. I would be interested to know how much of my job is general stress and how much could be down to being potentially autistic which compounds any stress. But i also would like to know your positive stories and experience! 

Parents
  • I am an adult with autism and a 6th - 12th Grade music teacher. I have HFA and don’t struggle terribly. I’m very lucky that way. But I get dreadfully overwhelmed and stressed over events I have to host and with middle school students. I know they’re tough no matter what kind of person is their teacher, but I WANT to be good at teaching Middle School. At all grade levels, I struggle with consistency (especially when I’m overwhelmed or stressed about something). Any and all tips for success in this would be greatly appreciated. I’m considered good at teaching and at making relationships with students and co-workers. But definitely NOT paperwork, organization, or consistency in classroom management.

• I am an adult with autism and a 6th - 12th Grade music teacher. I have HFA and don’t struggle terribly. I’m very lucky that way. But I get dreadfully overwhelmed and stressed over events I have to host and with middle school students. I know they’re tough no matter what kind of person is their teacher, but I WANT to be good at teaching Middle School. At all grade levels, I struggle with consistency (especially when I’m overwhelmed or stressed about something). Any and all tips for success in this would be greatly appreciated. I’m considered good at teaching and at making relationships with students and co-workers. But definitely NOT paperwork, organization, or consistency in classroom management.

Children
  • Hi, apologies but I didn't get a notification of your message. What age do you teach? I teach adults and we don't have to do events or anything like that so I'm very lucky. I can just about manage with class parties at the end of term! 

What do you mean when you say you struggle with consistency? 

I've learned to be kind to myself, ask for help if I need it amd if I haven't got mental capacity to do something like marking, I don't do it until I feel able. The world won't stop because I haven't given the marking back on time. My managers know I have anxiety and are very supportive.