High functioning / ‘mild’ autism - can we have another term

I’ve yet to have my diagnosis so lurk around the internet trying to persuade myself I am not a fraud, or a non autistic person that can’t get her s**t together. 

I Wish there was a clearer definition and a name for this condition / disorder that doesn’t include autism. It’s not that I don’t want the autism label but I feel that, without a definition of the fundamentals that put us all on the spectrum in varying degrees, trying to explain myself to anyone (and fundamentally to myself) is difficult. Throughout the course of a month I can appear very normal and handle things (people, noise, stress etc) , to escaping my work at 5 with as little interaction as possible and saying random things to myself in my flat to vent what I haven’t said heoughout the day.  If I discuss this with anyone close to me they say ‘aw I do that’ or ‘everyone has their little idiosyncrasies’. More doubt...

I would prefer it if this part of the spectrum could be better defined and named. The part of the spectrum that includes the females who don’t have special interests, can make eye contact and don’t stim. No great intelligence  / IQ. Those that, although they can’t, would like to communicate better. 

Wouldn’t directing people to the help they specifically need be easier if ASD was better defined? Or disorders named. And taken off the spectrum? 

I find the fact that it’s so difficult for practitioners to identify (in women) disheartening and it doesn’t fill my confidence. Surely better definitions would make research and identifying support much easier too? 

Parents
  • Hi

i really agree with you and I’m very much in the same boat. I paid for a private assessment and received a diagnosis 3 years ago at the age of 45. Despite this, I still feel the same as you describe. People try to suggest that I’m not really autistic as though it will cheer me up. I’m comfortable with the diagnosis but frustrated that others don’t accept it as they can’t see it.  if the symptoms of ASD in high-functioning women fit you, and you find comfort/explanation in them- give yourself permission to accept them and have the confidence to try and help others understand why it is important to you. You are not a fraud, I’m sure you are an extremely capable, intelligent person - if you feel like you’re autistic then you probably are! 

Best wishes

• Good reply Ok hand tone3 ~ I love that - give yourself permission to accept the diagnosis ~ thank you Pray tone3 

Reply Children
No Data