Wait time to hear something after GP referral

Hi all, does anyone know roughly how long it might take from when my GP referred me to when I hear something? Am I correct in assuming that there should be some kind of letter acknowledging the referral at some point? I know I'm probably being a bit impatient seeing as according to the receptionist at the GP surgery my referral was sent on the 18th of Jan but I have others (Shaw Trust - I've been on the Work and Health Programme since March 2018 and the ASD penny only dropped for me in November after struggling all year) that are encouraging me to keep chasing up at my GP where I am and I really don't want to make a nuisance of myself. I was hoping people might share how long they had to wait as an adult before they had some kind of initial confirmation after their GP had sent their referral as I'm finding this being in limbo stage quite difficult.

Thanks for reading

Parents
  • Hi it seems to depend on where you live as to how quickly you get seen, one thing you could try is finding out who you were referred to and calling them to confirm that they have received the referral, I personally have started doing this after my daughters gp didn't bother sending her referral. 

Don't be surprised if you have along wait for an appointment I know it's a different department but I just waited 14 months for an appointment with pain management but it really does depend on what's in your area

• Thats a good idea, I think it was South London and Maudsley. It'll probably have to wait until my fear of not knowing eclipses my dislike of using the phone but its a good course of action. I don't mind a long wait for an appointment as I'm normally pretty patient as long as something is confirmed as happening at some point. Its the period of not knowing anything that eats at me if you know what I mean.

• I know what you mean, its the uncertainty that bothers you. If you struggle with the phone maybe ask gp if they have an email address you could try? 

Reply Children