Anger issues with autism

Hello everybody 

I have autism and I get angry a lot does anyone else experience getting angry a lot for no good reason. 

Feed back would be good 

Thanks 

Parents
  • I think most people get angry at inanimate objects. I've yet to work with anybody that doesn't at times swear at their computer.

What causes an angry reaction from me is sudden noise. I find I'm reacting violently before my brain has even engaged, it's a purely primal response. When the brain catches up I regain control but I've punched a couple of cars for hitting their horns next to me because of this.

It's not nice, and I'd rather it didn't happen. Sadly it's not one of the things I'm getting better at as I get older :(

• I think most people get angry at inanimate objects. I've yet to work with anybody that doesn't at times swear at their computer.

What causes an angry reaction from me is sudden noise. I find I'm reacting violently before my brain has even engaged, it's a purely primal response. When the brain catches up I regain control but I've punched a couple of cars for hitting their horns next to me because of this.

It's not nice, and I'd rather it didn't happen. Sadly it's not one of the things I'm getting better at as I get older :(

Children
  • Have you tried noise cancelling headphones? They’re working amazingly well for me. I only got them the other day and already they’re making a great impact. It’s lile im living in another world. It’s as if the whole world slows down when I’ve got them on. 

So I’ve figured that something happens to my brain when I hear noise that somehow makes everything go faster. For example, when I have the headphones on, cars etc are not only quieter, but slower as well. 

It’s pretty amazing because I always felt the world went too fast for me, but now I have the headphones, it’s like it’s slowed down, to the degree that it’s no longer going too fast.

Even the little noises in the house, that nobody but me hears, go away and it makes such a huge difference that it shows me how much pressure I was under from the noise, when I didn’t have the headphones. 

It’s like I didn’t realise how much I was impacted by noise, until it went away. And the headphones add a layer of comfort to me physically, that I didn’t know I needed. And I discovered yesterday, at the fellowship meeting, that if I’m getting bored or whatever, I can listen to something through the headphones as well, to give me another level of serenity or something. For example, yesterday, I played a song that was in my head anyway, to see if it would act as a calmer. And it didn’t really, but I did go on to play sounds of water and nature, and that helped.

So I’m still experimenting but so far, they have been worth the money I spent on them. And I prefer them to medication.