Adult Housing

Hello, 

I wonder if anyone else has experience in finding suitable housing for autistic adults? I live alone in a property on a busy road next to a pub so you can imagine what life is like for me given that I suffer with noise and coping with this is a struggle. I long for a more private and quiet place to live but finding this is hard as people struggle to understand my needs. I am fully aware that we have a housing crisis and am happy to have a roof over my head but long term, it is bad for my health and peace of mind. I would love a shipping container in the countryside but doubt this will be allowed. In short, I just wish to be safe and secure and to be allowed to be me. That is quiet and happy to be absorbed in a book or working on my 1976 Land Rover or watching Ice Pilots NWT with out being disturbed by screaming and shouting from the street. Could the NAS campaign on housing I wonder?

• Hello,

thank you for all the responses. My home belongs to a charity and is only temporary so I would not be allowed to soundproof. I do use ear plugs when the noise gets too much but would much prefer to live in the quiet of the Staffordshire Moorlands as I found this to be relaxing and soothing. I recently stayed in a BB near to my old home and the quiet atmosphere was sheer bliss and allowed me to relax and feel safe. I will continue to look for more suitable housing.

• This is my current approach. I have three pairs of ear defenders, one of which I bought to try and save some money but did not find them comfortable or effective. I have a pair of 3M's highest rated ear defenders and the next level down. The latter I sometimes have to use for sleeping.

I have over-ear noise-cancelling headphones by Bose and the level of noise cancellation is excellent. I also have a pair of noise-cancelling ear buds by Spracht (bought from Amazon). They were a lot less expensive than the Bose headphones and the noise cancellation is acceptable but nowhere near as good as Bose. When I bought the Bose headphones it meant going without other things for a long time.

For Bonfire Night (and similar nights), I had to wear the Spracht ear buds plugged into my radio and my highest rated ear defenders over the top. There were times when I thought they were not as effective as I had hoped but when I removed the ear defenders I soon changed my mind!

I also have foam earplugs but do not find them comfortable. I also have wax earplugs.

Bose have released noise-masking sleepbuds (https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/headphones/noise_masking_sleepbuds/noise-masking-sleepbuds.html) but they are pretty expensive. I do not have a pair. You might also want to take a look at Nuheara (https://www.nuheara.com/) and QuietOn (https://quieton.com/). Neither one is cheap and I cannot say how effective they are because I do not own either of the ear buds.

• As someone who soundproofed a party wall of my former house I can tell you it is a costly and pretty complicated undertaking. Even more costly if you pay someone/a company to do the work.

I built the thickest independent stud wall (in effect, a new wall which was not attached to the party wall) recommended, added very thick rock wool, used genie clips and furring channels (to further improve isolation), added 15mm thick acoustic plasterboard, added an acoustic membrane, added a second layer of 15mm plasterboard and used acoustic sealant. Yes, the soundproofing did make a difference - in that one room. I would have needed to do the same upstairs and, possibly, soundproof the upstairs flooring, to make a difference upstairs. And this was just protecting myself from noise coming from one direction (my selfish neighbours).

Windows are not easy to soundproof. Neither are doors. Then you may have to consider the ceiling. Noise will find a way through even the smallest of gaps. Have a look at https://www.ikoustic.co.uk/ or https://www.soundstop.co.uk/ to get an idea of what is involved. The more noise the more soundproofing required.

I agree that things would be so much better without noise and it is an issue I struggle with.

I wish you both luck.

• ear defenders work for me , to a degree ;neiboirs dog, for me  their dog, and stuff  is not dissimilar I guess.

Earplugs outdoors are night and day difference for me , sunglasses , also

Sorry I digress.

Im pondering buy noise canelling  possibly bit expensive eh

Edited to add: should a cabin in the woods turn up #keen organic garden here , albeit permaculture because physical stuff , also tobe secure accomodation based in the nature preferably with land for veg and possiby warm climate (one can dream, no?)

• not sure if you are private landlord or housing association but housing associations will nearly always allow a tenant to soundproof their home and its possible a private landlord would. If you cant afford the cost of soundproofing you might be able to get a community care grant from council. Not sure of exact criteria to get a grant but tenant must intend on staying in house for 5 years. I'm hopeful I can get a room soundproofed asap because I have some crazy meltdowns when things get too loud. As you say any roof over your head is a bonus these days BUT how much better things would be without any noise