Female with autism feels masculine rather than feminine

I am a female with autism. Something that I have felt most of my life is that I feel more masculine than feminine in my inner self however outwardly I definitely look feminine such as makeup and I do my hair etc but inwardly I feel and see myself as more of a male. Has anyone experienced this? 

Parents
  • If I may reply as a parent: it seems there is a strong connection between ASD and variously, gender dysphoria and identifying neutral.  Certainly there is a large overlap in the people I meet at the two sorts of groups.  So yes, there must be many who feel something similar at least.

As a female, I reject the roles shoved at me and wonder whether this is added to the rejection of the neurotypical behaviour stereotype.  My child is adamant that there is more than this and I accept that.

If I may advise anything: be careful that in rejecting one identity, you do not get drawn into another just because it is not the first.  

Good luck with finding your zone

• If I may reply as a parent: it seems there is a strong connection between ASD and variously, gender dysphoria and identifying neutral.  Certainly there is a large overlap in the people I meet at the two sorts of groups.  So yes, there must be many who feel something similar at least.

As a female, I reject the roles shoved at me and wonder whether this is added to the rejection of the neurotypical behaviour stereotype.  My child is adamant that there is more than this and I accept that.

If I may advise anything: be careful that in rejecting one identity, you do not get drawn into another just because it is not the first.  

Good luck with finding your zone

Children
  • I'm inclined to agree, the answer to finding you don't fit an unrealistically polarised binary of gender characteristics isn't always to shift from one end to the other - I personally find either pole artificial and restrictive. Obviously if someone else is intuitively sure that nature intended them to have different genitalia then I'll support them in pursuing whatever makes them happy and whole.