Work problems

Hi I'm New here, I'm having problems at work with describing how aspergers affects me. My employer wont take my diagnosis as fact, they have a copy of the diagnosis letter but won't accept the description I give of how my symptoms affect me, they want proof from my gp, but I know my Gp knows nothing of AS and I am in danger of losing my job which I have been doing for 5 years! Im getting so close to giving up. Any advice?

Parents
  • Have you contacted Access to Work? You can refer yourself and ask for assistance to retain your job. How disappointing that your employer is being so obstructive. Make sure you write everything down, keep copies of emails etc as this will be helpful if you do end up losing your job unfairly.

I had a useful meeting with a Disability Employment Adviser at a Job Centre yesterday. I still have multiple part-time and casual jobs - he was able to give me some good advice about how to try and get adjustments made.

Could you ask whoever diagnosed you to endorse your request for adjustments? I have drafted an employment checklist and autism passport and sent these to my psychologist to review. If my employer won't accept my assessment of my own needs I hope they will take notice of what she says.

I am in a Trade Union which is helpful. My rep accompanies me to meetings which changes the dynamic. It might be worth joining a Union now, they may not be able to intervene on issues that have already happened but they can ensure you are treated fairly from now on.

Asperger's can be a real challenge at work in that the difficulties we have may not be apparent to other people. This makes it more likely that our requests for adjustments are seen as wants not needs (Alis Rowe - the Curly Haired Girl - has created a lovely cartoon about this). We should be accepted as experts on our own condition.

So sorry to hear what a difficult situation you are in. ACAS can sometimes intervene too. If you haven't already done so it might be worth phoning the NAS helpline for advice, or emailing them.

Try and stay strong. It can be very dispiriting to get a response like this from an employer.

• Am on the verge of a major breakdown today, burst out crying as I left for work, on the way to work, and three times since I got into work, went to the transport staff who are aware of my problems, they didn’t seem particularly interested when I told them how bad I was, asked for some short notice leave to sort myself out, they offered me the week after next. Feel so let down and worried,  I am already on a stage 2 disciplinary for being off work for 2 weeks with depression before Christmas, this is all due to the build up of anxiety, and not getting any help, really can’t take much more of feeling like this. What can I do?.

• If its any consolation I know exactly what you are going through, all we can do is stay strong and keep asking for help. Hope it works out for you.

Reply Children
No Data