Street lights and other lighting

Does anyine else have a strange relationship with street lights as I do?

Im all for energy saving to help with climate change but im really struggling with these new bright white (LED?) lights.

A lot of the street lights round here are being retro-fitted with the new white light. I much prefer the warm tones of the old style orange or peach ones. Is it just that i like things just-so snd unchanged? The old orange ones rrmind me of being a child. To me, the white light is like the visual equivalent of the sound of a bad chord on an untuned piano. Does that make sense to anyone? It makes me feel uncomfortabke and a bit uneasy.

Since New year, there have been 4 neighbours who have had  white security lights installed outside their homes.The house at the back has lights which shine into our back bedroom. Its not majorly bright but its the colour of the light i dont like. The lights they had before shone in a bit but were a warmer light and it didnt feel invasive.

When we lived in a second floor flat, some new car park lighrs were installed which shone directly into our living room. There was only me who seemed bothered by it (not partner or other neighbours) and i got the council to re-angle the light.

These white lights make me feel uncomfortable. In places like supermarket car parks where they are really bright, the birds are singing at 10pm at night because the lighrs mimic daylight. It fills me with despair. This is messing with our body clock as well as nature.

My partner said he has never heard anyone go on about lighting as much as me. Is it just me?!

Parents
  • Me again. This is where it gets complicated, and I have no references to clarify it (& it is officially denied until it affects "officials" themselves)...

There are many types of Lighting. Fire/Candles, Incandescent Bulbs, Fluorescent ("Energy Saving"/ES), and LED. Then there are the Colours which these things can shine: White, Blue, Orange, Red, etc...

I think we all grew up with Incandescent Bulbs. A steady light, burning, like a candle, then it "blew"...

Fluorescent Bulbs/ ES Bulbs... are the ones which "Strobe" (flicker), and are modern. These cause problems... for myself, and I would cite references if I could, if they are RED/YELLOW, then they could cause fitting/seizures in some people...

LED Bulbs are a relief, as far as I know, but are the most expensive. This is current for nowadays, and many Lights are changing to LED now. For myself again, they are a relief from ES-Bulbs, no matter what colour they are. But they are reeeeealy bright! Nowadays, Car headlights have these, and they dazzle me, and so, no, not nice...

LEDs are at the moment taking over from all the others. But, as with the effects upon Wildlife, we can only wait to see the long-term effects. A bit like everything else in so-called Civilisation, really...

(ES Bulbs are curly/looped things. Bad, bad, bad...)

• LED's can be a problem for me too - we had one put in our living room that has 6 bulbs in. Not sure if it's the electrics that are wrong but one flickers. Took it out and another one flickers.. As it's the only light in that room, it all means I can't sit in there at night.

Reply Children
  • ...Ok. But it is getting late, just to let you know, I am signing off this, now. I could try to end in saying something silly, what with the topic going onto 'lightbulb changing' and all... but I do not know enough jokes about it! Ciao.

• Apologies - I meant to reply to myself - I get the fluorescent problem then as an afterthought mentioned my issues with LED - but replied to the wrong post :)

• (...I just tried to find a good single picture of an ES Bulb and an LED Bulb, but there are too many. Just type ES +Bulb or LED +Bulb into a Web Browser and select Images, and then there should be a good show of different types of each.)

• I am not good at interaction and "chat", honestly...

But I said that Flourescent and Energy Saving Bulbs are the trouble I have. I have no problem so far with LEDs apart from the brightness.

I like LEDs. I HATE ES Bulbs.

...If your LED Bulbs are flickering, then that means that the connection is too low on power, or the bulb is about to blow. I should say that, the difference between a ES Bulb and an LED Bulb is just to look at the insides of them: if it is a looped thing, then it is an ES Bulb. I might put a picture if I can find one, but generally,:

Incandescent or LED   =  looks like an    ~O~   (A Bulb)

ES.  = Looks like an    ~M~   or series of    ~MWM~   (It is a set of loops.)