Confused

Wasn’t sure if to write here or not but I am hoping for some advice.

Whilst I was going through the diagnosis process i kept coming on here and have read over and over again how getting diagnosed has helped in some way and how others were worried they wouldn’t get diagnosed due to NHS not diagnosing in the area. I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I was diagnosed very quickly and this is why I feel so bad.

There seems to be so many people looking for a diagnosis and I have one and don’t serm to be happy. I have been trying to look at the positives but I feel very negative about the diagnosis and am struggling to cope. I am wanting to know if anybody else’s does or has felt the same.

i am sorry if my complaining is frustrating for those who are wanting a diagnosis I do realise I have been lucky 

Parents
  • Hi xiv

I think what you say is correct. It's not just about autism though, it's about getting diagnosed with anything because sometimes it can be extremely challenging for both ourselves and the professionals to understand what's going on, then it can be challenging in getting a diagnosis when the professionals, for whatever reason, don't try to properly find out what's going on in order to get some sort of diagnosis. For some people they may never get a diagnosis for conditions, which could require extra help and support yet without a diagnosis they don't get any. The system does have a luck element to it and we are lucky for having received a diagnosis while others don't.

If I'm going to be completely honest then I'm not happy, but I don't see that as a result of my diagnosis. I wasn't happy before my diagnosis and I wasn't happy after my diagnosis. Before my diagnosis I had already come to terms with being different and accepting myself for it, so the diagnosis was just a label to attach to those differences. It didn't actually change the complexities and challenges of life, of others and the world around me. I struggle with those things and in trying to cope with living life but I accept that my power and control over certain things is limited so I just try to live my life as best as I can. In time, such things may change for the better but all I can do is wait and see.

All I can offer is to say that all we can do is try our best to live our lives with whatever challenges we may come across along the way.

• Hi xiv

I think what you say is correct. It's not just about autism though, it's about getting diagnosed with anything because sometimes it can be extremely challenging for both ourselves and the professionals to understand what's going on, then it can be challenging in getting a diagnosis when the professionals, for whatever reason, don't try to properly find out what's going on in order to get some sort of diagnosis. For some people they may never get a diagnosis for conditions, which could require extra help and support yet without a diagnosis they don't get any. The system does have a luck element to it and we are lucky for having received a diagnosis while others don't.

If I'm going to be completely honest then I'm not happy, but I don't see that as a result of my diagnosis. I wasn't happy before my diagnosis and I wasn't happy after my diagnosis. Before my diagnosis I had already come to terms with being different and accepting myself for it, so the diagnosis was just a label to attach to those differences. It didn't actually change the complexities and challenges of life, of others and the world around me. I struggle with those things and in trying to cope with living life but I accept that my power and control over certain things is limited so I just try to live my life as best as I can. In time, such things may change for the better but all I can do is wait and see.

All I can offer is to say that all we can do is try our best to live our lives with whatever challenges we may come across along the way.

Children
No Data